Tidal mesh installation.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree you probably shouldnt use both. Maybe try gluing the mesh across the water outlet of the tidal to stop the macro from going into the tank. That fish net stuff is going to be a pain to deal with. Mesh gutter guard from hd or lowes would probably work better, or the egg crate.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree you probably shouldnt use both. Maybe try gluing the mesh across the water outlet of the tidal to stop the macro from going into the tank. That fish net stuff is going to be a pain to deal with. Mesh gutter guard from hd or lowes would probably work better, or the egg crate.
Use both as in don't use biofiltration and carbon? Won't my tank crash without it? Fish net pain to deal with as in?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use both as in don't use biofiltration and carbon? Won't my tank crash without it? Fish net pain to deal with as in?
The fish net is going to be hard to glue. There is very little surface area to actually stick to. I suggest you get some of the plastic mesh gutter guard its stiffer and will be much easier to glue to make a gate to keep the algae in the tidal.

If you are turning this tidal into a fuge you should forgo the other filtration media to have more room for the algae you are trying to grow. Your tank rocks will provide the surface area for your bacteria like @Formulator said. The algae will remove the nitrate and phosphate. That filter does not have enough area to do multiple things.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. A majority of the tanks on here don’t use any bio filtration media. It is completely unnecessary (in most cases). That is why we have live rock! The only valid reason (IMO) to use bioballs or matrix is in certain tanks that for aesthetic reasons decided to have minimal or no rock work in the display tank, OR have a ridiculously high bioload/borderline overstocked with fish. Freshwater tanks are different, and this is often a hard concept to grasp for folks that transition to salt from fresh, but I promise you it is 100% not needed in your tank. Toss it in the garbage and watch your nitrates fall!

Carbon is also not necessary, though it is far more commonly used in the saltwater hobby. It helps with water clarity and can remove unwanted contaminants in an emergency, like “oops, I just put my hand in the tank after putting on sunscreen”. I run it for peace of mind mostly. Your tank will absolutely not “crash” without it.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Formulator I have already bought the mesh I CAN buy a new material but I really need to save my money lol. So I just need to find a way to keep the mesh in the filter, and I need to find a way to fit my filtration in.
Do you have one of these removable basket things in your tidal? If so, you could try draping the mesh over the top and tying a rubber band around the whole thing to hold it on. Or drill a few holes around the rim so you can tie the mesh to the rim.

IMG_5507.jpeg

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have one of these removable basket things in your tidal? If so, you could try draping the mesh over the top and tying a rubber band around the whole thing to hold it on. Or drill a few holes around the rim so you can tie the mesh to the rim.

IMG_5507.jpeg
Yes I do what exactly should i do?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. A majority of the tanks on here don’t use any bio filtration media. It is completely unnecessary (in most cases). That is why we have live rock! The only valid reason (IMO) to use bioballs or matrix is in certain tanks that for aesthetic reasons decided to have minimal or no rock work in the display tank, OR have a ridiculously high bioload/borderline overstocked with fish. Freshwater tanks are different, and this is often a hard concept to grasp for folks that transition to salt from fresh, but I promise you it is 100% not needed in your tank. Toss it in the garbage and watch your nitrates fall!

Carbon is also not necessary, though it is far more commonly used in the saltwater hobby. It helps with water clarity and can remove unwanted contaminants in an emergency, like “oops, I just put my hand in the tank after putting on sunscreen”. I run it for peace of mind mostly. Your tank will absolutely not “crash” without it.
Then what's the point of having a filter what should I put in there Instead.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what's the point of having a filter what should I put in there Instead.
Well if you were not aware, hang on back filters are also very uncommon. Most folks just run a skimmer in their sump to remove organic waste. Your equivalent to that in a HOB filter is just the fleece/mesh pad to collect debris. But even that is not required.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you were not aware, hang on back filters are also very uncommon. Most folks just run a skimmer in their sump to remove organic waste. Your equivalent to that in a HOB filter is just the fleece/mesh pad to collect debris. But even that is not required.
I've tried to get a skimmer but my LFS won't even try to get one cus of "distributor deals" gonna end up ordering one myself

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the filter basket i never tried on my tidals can you get it to go in backwards and flow over the top? Nvm ill try when i get home so you d9nt flood your parents floor lol. Im thinking if the tidal basket will turn around and give you the lip you need to hold tge cheato in. Then throw everything in there out. Throw a ball of cheato in and done. But let me try swaping the filter around and flood my floor

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back