GFO how much to use?

electraglide999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have TLF - Phosban Reactor 150 and BRS GFO phosphate media. How much GFO do I fill the reactor with? Do I fill it to the top, 2 cups, 3 cups or what. Is there some type of guide lines to go by?

How long do I keep it in the reactor before i change it next time.

Thanks.

Elan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the instructions on the GFO label?? Its 1 tablespoon per every 8 gallons i believe to start if this is your first time using it. The gradually add 1 tablespoon per 8 gallons in the next to weeks

OP
OP
electraglide999

electraglide999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must of over looked it. :angel: This is the first time using it. thanks

start with 1 tablespoon per 4 gallons of water (16 tbsp = 1 cup). After 4-8 weeks the aquarium will have adjusted to lower nutrient levels and the amount of GFO can be increased up to 2 tablespoons per 4 gallons of water. For HC GFO start with 1 tablespoon per 8 gallons of water (16 tbsp = 1 cup). After 4-8 weeks the aquarium will have adjusted to the low nutrient level and the amount of GFO can be increased up to 2 tablespoons per 8 gallons of water. Change all three types of GFO when phosphate levels rise or algae growth becomes visible (4-8 weeks).

Last edited:

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the instructions on the GFO label?? Its 1 tablespoon per every 8 gallons i believe to start if this is your first time using it. The gradually add 1 tablespoon per 8 gallons in the next to weeks

That sounds right. Just go SLOW or you will bleach everything. Make sure you dont over tumble the GFO or it will crush into dust and could cause problems. Also I check alk/dkh the next day after adding GFO as it can drop it some

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I find it helpful to occasionally shake my reactor. This breaks up the current paths the water is taking and mixes the media. Like others have said, go slow. Over doing it will cause bleaching or death.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GFO media should lightly "dance" in the reactor but as mentioned above it should not be over tumbled. And yes, take it slow so you don't cause any bleaching. I have started out with a bit less and gradually increased the amount during each change out until I'm using the recommended amount.

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sara what coral will bleached if too much GFO is used?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back