Gill embolism thingy on clown....

roger saltwaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so last nite after feeding my fish I notice a large red bulbous bulge protruding from one of my clowns gills. She seems to behave normally and has a great appetite but I'm very concerned. Any ideas? I don't know if it is related but when eating she grabbed a bite that was a little bigger than she could handle and struggled with it.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters? Have you tested ammonia? High ammonia can cause this as well as parasites. How do the fins look? Are they worn and frayed?

OP
OP
roger saltwaters

roger saltwaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters? Have you tested ammonia? High ammonia can cause this as well as parasites. How do the fins look? Are they worn and frayed?
All my fish look perfect other than this. I haven't tested ammonia in quite a while but it has been completely undetectable for ages and filtration has only been improved.

OP
OP
roger saltwaters

roger saltwaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what causes that. A freshwater dip would probably be a good idea. Here's how:

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

@Humblefish can you take a look?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can kinda see it in the first photo. I'm wondering if it could be a sting or some other type of physical damage.

OP
OP
roger saltwaters

roger saltwaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what causes that. A freshwater dip would probably be a good idea. Here's how:

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

@Humblefish can you take a look?
Thanks for the help. I might try this but I will wait until the fish shows some sign of distress. Oddly enough this guy doesn't seem to be bothered the slightest bit so far. I'm hoping this will fix itself over time. So weird.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know. Kind of hard to get a good picture of. It looks like to red balls in a clear sack. Not unlike a scrotum.

Almost sounds like the gills themselves are hanging out. See below.

fish%20repiratory.jpg

OP
OP
roger saltwaters

roger saltwaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok update time. Last nite the fish still had the two 'red testacles' protruding from its gill. This morning they are gone. Maybe a slight trace of the clear sack. Now for the first time the fish is acting lethargic and hanging out on the bottom. LFS recommended pulling her out and QT ing with 'Melafix'. Opinions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix depletes o2, so if there are issues with the gills it might make the situation worse.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back