Go Fallow or start over?

dontbuyxenia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I just had an outbreak of ich in my tank and am losing fish fast. I lost a flame angel and clownfish today, and likely a purple tang and cleaner wrasse soon. Quite frankly I am furious. I am wondering if it would just be easier to tear down the tank and dry the sand and rock out to start over rather than going fallow for 2.5 months. The tank has been set up for 10 months so I hate to destroy the established environment but I feel that if I tear the tank down, I could be putting in fish in maybe only a few weeks rather than months. Plus I have heard that some fallow cycles don't work. I only have a few corals in the tank that I dont mind getting rid of. anyone else ever been in this situation? Feeling frustrated.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would be "easier" at all to tear the tank down, clean everything, put it back together and cycle again. It seems like a lot of work just to save a few weeks.

You're also making it rather clear that you will skip QT and so its very possible that ich will make its way back into your tank. Repeating the same actions as before will give you the same results.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say don't try to rush.
Just doing whatever to add fish again as soon as possible is a policy designed to let you fail again very quickly.
Instead let the tank go fallow and use the "down time" to set up a QT and treatment system for the new fish so you can have a better chance to avoid catastrophe in the future.

OP
OP
dontbuyxenia

dontbuyxenia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the replies. I don't QT because I live in an apartment and I have to keep my tanks to a minimum lol. Also, I have kept saltwater for about 10 years and have had only one other outbreak like this and it was many years ago. Now, however, I would definitely never do that again. I do want to get fish back soon and I was thinking of ordering from Dr reef since they have a pretty good QT regiment. Anyone have luck with them?

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back