Great List to read if your just starting out!!!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen this on another site thought it would be good for newbies!!

*Dont over feed. If you have tons of unexplained algae, you are probably feeding too much.

*Frequent water changes are a must.

*No salt water tank is complete without a skimmer. Some people will say you can get away without one but thats like saying you can go on a cross country road trip in your car using only first gear. Why bother?

*Use coral food sparingly.

*Don't buy a fish thinking 'I will buy a bigger tank when it outgrows this one'.

*Many people, including both neophytes and seasoned veterans of the hobby, will tell you that certain things have to be done certain ways. A lot of the times these people are 90% or more correct but always do a little investigating before making your own decision. Sometimes people on the internet are wrong.

*I will never setup a tank without a sump.

*In woodworking you measure twice, cut once. My advice is to research a new livestock purchase twice, buy once.

*Adequate flow and tank turnover are two of the most important factors in tank health and are often overlooked at the beginning.

*For God's Sake, cycle that tank before stocking it with livestock.

*If you own a fish before you own a test kit you are doing it wrong.

*T5 lighting alone IS enough to grow basically any coral. PC lighting is not.

*Support local retailors. Yes sometimes stuff can be found online cheaper, but good luck calling up Dr Fosters & Smith when you suddenly have a tank problem. It has been my experience that every local store I've ever been in has been more than happy to stop and talk/educate/teach about anything salt water related and this knowledge is far more valuable than the $5-10 you would have saved on the frag online.

*Never spend more than $20 on a frag of common Xenia or Green Star Polyps.

*If 10 people say that livestock X will probably die in your tank and 1 person says that he has had one healthy for 2 years and you'll be fine, it will probably die in your tank. Don't buy it.

*Be generous to other reefers and they will usually be generous back.

*Super glue gel is an amazing tool for mounting rocks and coral.

*Hydrometers are junk, get a refractometer.

*Frag swaps are fun ways of getting cheap corals and meeting new people.

*Homemade frozen food is cheaper and easier to maintain quality control than ready made mixes like Prime Reef.

*Regular Frozen brine shrimp is to fish what potato chips are to humans.

**Probably the most important thing I've learned is that good things happen slowly, and only bad things happen fast. Patience is key when it comes to having a good reef tank. Often times the best thing to do is provide a stable environment and keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1699386

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything accept for the sump. I kept a very healthy 55 gallon reef with an HOB skimmer and (chokes) a WELL-MAINTAINED canister filter.

Nice list though!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of this is good information, but some of it is to "one minded" and commonly spread around forums, so I'll add my 2 cents :D
*No salt water tank is complete without a skimmer. Some people will say you can get away without one but thats like saying you can go on a cross country road trip in your car using only first gear. Why bother?
Simply not true at all. Skimmers can and do make life easier on many, many salt water systems, and they've become a major staple in running a saltwater tank, but they are a far cry from a "necessity". Not only have I run a fully stocked jammin' 180 gallon SPS system in the past with no skimmer, many other reefers have (or do) done this as well. Particularly with nanoreefs it's very easy to run a system with amazing colors and healthy animals without a skimmer. Go check out the nanoreef site for systems that are simlpy a glass box, pump, live rock and sand, with a light over top that the owner performs weekly (ish) water changes on and that's it. You will be blown away by how amazing some of these systems look.

A healthy system is simply ensuring that nutrient import (feeding, source water, etc.) equal nutrient export (water changes, skimming, probiotics, refugiums, etc.). Many ways to skin a cat, learn and understand what you're doing and how it effects your system and you'll be successful. This also plays into the sump note... not necessary to run a healthy system.

*Hydrometers are junk, get a refractometer.
I'm assuming this is referencing swing-arm hydrometers, but even with that said if you clean them regularly after use and compare to a good source they're fine for most people. Floating hydrometers on the other hand are much better means of checking salinity than refractometers (that we use in the hobby) if used correctly. Refractometers are cheaply made and have such a wide range. They MUST be calibrated regularly with calibration solution (not water), even if they're just lightly bumped. A high grade refractometer or salinity monitor is ideal but those are $500 + which very few hobbyists purchase let alone know about.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some documents online with google docs. Some are online magazine articles that I converted to word docs. Most of them are just information that I wanted to have on hand in case they took them offline.

Google Docs

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming this is referencing swing-arm hydrometers, but even with that said if you clean them regularly after use and compare to a good source they're fine for most people. Floating hydrometers on the other hand are much better means of checking salinity than refractometers (that we use in the hobby) if used correctly. Refractometers are cheaply made and have such a wide range. They MUST be calibrated regularly with calibration solution (not water), even if they're just lightly bumped. A high grade refractometer or salinity monitor is ideal but those are $500 + which very few hobbyists purchase let alone know about.

With most refractometers you need a phillips screwdriver to change the calibration. So how would "bumping" a refractometer change its calibration? I recheck my calibration in my refractometer every once in a while. Its never drifted from the original set point.

I

inactive

View Badges
The sump thing is BS, I run sumpless and my SPS are insane growth and color wise...

Also, PC lighting can grow anything, just not color anything.

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump thing is BS, I run sumpless and my SPS are insane growth and color wise...

True that!! I've been running sumpless with a cheapo Bak Pak skimmer on my SPS dominated 40b for over 3yrs. now and growth and color is also insane!

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically I could go sumpless. I have no rock, macro, sand or anything but equipment in my sump.

HUH what is this suppose to mean? I know what a sump is for besides more water volume. That is all what I have in my 125g sump for my 270g DT is equipment. I'm just stating what previous posters said about needing a sump or skimmer to have a successfull tank is not true. It is all about your maintenance habits that will keep your system healthy. You can have all the equipment from A-Z but without proper maintenance your system will still look like crap if you are not performing scehduled routine mainenance.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HUH what is this suppose to mean? I know what a sump is for besides more water volume. That is all what I have in my 125g sump for my 270g DT is equipment. I'm just stating what previous posters said about needing a sump or skimmer to have a successfull tank is not true. It is all about your maintenance habits that will keep your system healthy. You can have all the equipment from A-Z but without proper maintenance your system will still look like crap if you are not performing scehduled routine mainenance.

Easy now I was agreeing with you...:bigsmile: Many people have sumps to put macro, rocks and sand/mud in to reduce nutrients. I was just saying that I could have a successful tank if I got a hang on skimmer being that I don't use my sump for that purpose any more.

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy now I was agreeing with you...:bigsmile: Many people have sumps to put macro, rocks and sand/mud in to reduce nutrients. I was just saying that I could have a successful tank if I got a hang on skimmer being that I don't use my sump for that purpose any more.

No problem Sorry:bigsmile::bigsmile::angel:. Yeah sumps are great to hold exrta equipment.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back