Grocery Store Clam in Tank

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do the clams you find in a grocery store eat? I got one and put it in a container of tank water to acclimate and take in clean water. I did a google search and found that they’re coldwater clams but people have had success with them in tropical reef tanks. I couldn’t find out how to feed them. I’m assuming phytoplankton? Do they also eat detritus?

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come from temperate waters. I'm from NJ and we have them here natively. They are filter feeders and eat whatever of nutritious value is in the water (phyto and zoo plankton and im assuming other small food particles).

I would not put one in a heated tropical fish tank although our bay waters and bear shore waters have gotten warmer and can hit 75-80f depending on the location and state of tide in the back. I know ocean surface temps have hit 80f late August up here.

Still isn't tropical nor photosynthetic.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought little neck clams from the grocery store to feed an octopus. The clams lived until eaten. I would not use them in a reef tank as a means of nutrient control.

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have littlenecks in the tank as a filter system. Started with a dozen a while ago. occasionally one comes to the top of the sand and dies. I believe I have about half dozen left, it's been over a year. Once they bury they don't usually come back up. I also have a few mussles in the tank, they attach to rocks and filter also. The mussles I did not get from a grocery store but from the ocean.

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed them anything?
No, I'm a heavy feeder for the fish and corals. I haven't seen any positives or negatives about keeping the clams. You almost never see them except for when they blow some sand up once in a while. If you do decide to go this route. Make sure you acclimate and quarantine them. You have no clue what they may have gotten from the grocery stores.

SaH_UFA1L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm a heavy feeder for the fish and corals. I haven't seen any positives or negatives about keeping the clams. You almost never see them except for when they blow some sand up once in a while. If you do decide to go this route. Make sure you acclimate and quarantine them. You have no clue what they may have gotten from the grocery stores.
Do you happen to have any update on the success or not of keeping littlenecks in your tank?

SaH_UFA1L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one bury itself before the trigger could get to it. Found it about six months later when the trigger was digging in the sand trying to get it. It was still alive but ended up as dinner.
Thank you. Sounds like other than being hunted for food it did fine in a warm tank.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I keep anywhere from 10-40 locally sourced (NJ here) little necks in the sand of my 110g predator reef.
This isn't for nutrient control whatsoever, but it does keep my sandbed stirred and I dig them out and crack them open as treats for all the meanies.
1000022845.jpg
1000034221.jpg

Edit: I do not feed the clams anything.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back