beatboyrx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys im having hair algae and cino problem
Phosphate 0.04, nitrate 5.0
Alk 8.84 cal 437 mag 1348

Tank is fairly new but used 2yr cultured rock that i got it from someone 2 month ago.
He had hair algae problem when i got it and i only brushed them and it looked clean till last week with cino bloom. Confirmed cino with microscope.
What can i do?

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, this happens. It's normal.

For cyano, lower Phosphates. For algae, lower Nitrate and Phosphate.

For now though, I would have a crew of fish and inverts cleaning up. Foxface, tangs, and lawnmower blennies are my go to crew!

pahnl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a new tank this is normal but you can some things to help. Adjust nutrients in the water (feed less, more water changes), reduce total run time for your lights. Get some clean up crew for it or manual removal. Eventually it should work itself out.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ? So keep doing what im doing with keeping those water parameter will solve the problem naturally?
I would take this opportunity to study as much as you can, figure out what clean up crew will work in your tank setup. @ReefStable gave you some great clean up crew ideas but some fish need large tanks. We develop as reefers by going through each step of reef development and learning each stage.

OP
OP
B

beatboyrx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take this opportunity to study as much as you can, figure out what clean up crew will work in your tank setup. @ReefStable gave you some great clean up crew ideas but some fish need large tanks. We develop as reefers by going through each step of reef development and learning each stage.
Thanx ! I will try not to be stressed and try to enjoy experiencing these stages !

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well stated. And, really, the studying never stops. I've been studying (pretty much) daily since February and I've only scratched the surface.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys im having hair algae and cino problem
Phosphate 0.04, nitrate 5.0
Alk 8.84 cal 437 mag 1348

Tank is fairly new but used 2yr cultured rock that i got it from someone 2 month ago.
He had hair algae problem when i got it and i only brushed them and it looked clean till last week with cino bloom. Confirmed cino with microscope.
What can i do?
To begin with, please post pics under white bright intensity for positive I.d.
The relationship between both issues mentioned are generally high Phosphates and/or nitrates. Additionally cyano generally appears when nutrient level of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are elevated in areas with little water flow, in which detritus builds up and becomes a home for cyano
Is your tank at or near a window?

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • My coral

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back