Hair algae removers for smaller tanks.

aronhoustongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 fluvial tank that’s been running for 5 months-ish and I’ve always had hair algae issues with this tank. I keep the water a bit dirty on purpose since it’s my LPS and softies tank. What’s the best invertebrates or fish to get rid of the hair algae? I’ve tried getting rid of it by hand, brush, siphoning out. But no matter what I do it stays and I’ve had no luck with lettuce nudibranchs and obviously I can’t get a sea hare or tangs in here. Thanks!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg balayage hair artist San Francisco
For smaller tanks plagued by hair algae, there are several methods and products you can try to effectively remove and control its growth:

1. Manual Removal: Use a toothbrush, algae scraper, or your fingers to manually remove as much hair algae as possible from the surfaces of your tank decorations, substrate, and glass. Be thorough but gentle to avoid damaging delicate plants or disturbing the tank environment.
  2. Algae-eating Fish and Invertebrates: Introduce algae-eating fish or invertebrates into your tank that naturally feed on hair algae. Some popular options include Siamese algae eaters, otocinclus catfish, Amano shrimp, and nerite snails. Keep in mind the size of your tank and compatibility with existing inhabitants when selecting algae-eating species.
  3. Chemical Treatments: Consider using algae treatments specifically formulated for freshwater aquariums. Look for products containing ingredients such as hydrogen peroxide or glutaraldehyde, which can effectively combat hair algae when used according to the manufacturer's instructions. Be cautious when using chemical treatments and carefully follow dosing guidelines to avoid harming your fish or plants.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae-eating Fish and Invertebrates: Introduce algae-eating fish or invertebrates into your tank that naturally feed on hair algae. Some popular options include Siamese algae eaters, otocinclus catfish, Amano shrimp, and nerite snails. Keep in mind the size of your tank and compatibility with existing inhabitants when selecting algae-eating species.

Aside from nerite snails, these are all freshwater inhabitants not saltwater

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For smaller tanks plagued by hair algae, there are several methods and products you can try to effectively remove and control its growth:

1. Manual Removal: Use a toothbrush, algae scraper, or your fingers to manually remove as much hair algae as possible from the surfaces of your tank decorations, substrate, and glass. Be thorough but gentle to avoid damaging delicate plants or disturbing the tank environment.
  2. Algae-eating Fish and Invertebrates: Introduce algae-eating fish or invertebrates into your tank that naturally feed on hair algae. Some popular options include Siamese algae eaters, otocinclus catfish, Amano shrimp, and nerite snails. Keep in mind the size of your tank and compatibility with existing inhabitants when selecting algae-eating species.
  3. Chemical Treatments: Consider using algae treatments specifically formulated for freshwater aquariums. Look for products containing ingredients such as hydrogen peroxide or glutaraldehyde, which can effectively combat hair algae when used according to the manufacturer's instructions. Be cautious when using chemical treatments and carefully follow dosing guidelines to avoid harming your fish or plants.
Bro…gptzero says this is 100% ai….bruh

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back