OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the algae is the main problem. Once algae starts to win the battle for the reef, the corals have no chance. You have to bring your tank back into balance.
I've been trying it feels impossible. I was told to take all my bioballs out and I did so. All my bioballs are now out of the filter. In replacement with Seachem matrix new carbon new filter floss and some Fluval quick clear. I installed all that last night for a filter refresh. Every time I take my bioballs out my GHA turns white and begins dying so this time I took them all out. What else should I do? I have a sea hare and a outflow guard for my Tidal coming in to start mass eating algae and to start a fuge. Any thoughts on a outflow guard though?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying it feels impossible. I was told to take all my bioballs out and I did so. All my bioballs are now out of the filter. In replacement with Seachem matrix new carbon new filter floss and some Fluval quick clear. I installed all that last night for a filter refresh. Every time I take my bioballs out my GHA turns white and begins dying so this time I took them all out. What else should I do? I have a sea hare and a outflow guard for my Tidal coming in to start mass eating algae and to start a fuge. Any thoughts on a outflow guard though?
IMO to have this kind of algae means you must be overfeeding. Uneaten food becomes dissolved organics, and this is what feeds algae. Feed the fish much much less, but feed more often to compensate. Feed very small amounts 3 or 4 times a day, feed less and less until you see that nothing gets left uneaten. If you eliminate the algae's fuel supply it have the biggest impact.

Wet skim with your skimmer, empty the cup every morning and evening. Run activated carbon. Both skimmer and carbon will remove dissolved organics from the water. More frequent water changes will also remove dissolved organics. Its all about removing dissolved organics from the water

The above 2 will really knock back the algae, so now you beef up the clean up crew. I've never had urchins or hares so IDK about those, but get a bunch of turbo snails, try to find big ones, like golf ball size if you can.

Algae will die and release, so you should be using and changing the filter pad or sock every day. Don't let the dead algae dissolve in the tank.

Use a turkey baster and blast your rocks nightly, algae will grow on detritus buildup. Again change the filter pads daily.

Increase the flow in the tank.

These things combined together will work 100%, but it will take time for that much algae to die back. Good luck

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO to have this kind of algae means you must be overfeeding. Uneaten food becomes dissolved organics, and this is what feeds algae. Feed the fish much much less, but feed more often to compensate. Feed very small amounts 3 or 4 times a day, feed less and less until you see that nothing gets left uneaten. If you eliminate the algae's fuel supply it have the biggest impact.

Wet skim with your skimmer, empty the cup every morning and evening. Run activated carbon. Both skimmer and carbon will remove dissolved organics from the water. More frequent water changes will also remove dissolved organics. Its all about removing dissolved organics from the water

The above 2 will really knock back the algae, so now you beef up the clean up crew. I've never had urchins or hares so IDK about those, but get a bunch of turbo snails, try to find big ones, like golf ball size if you can.

Algae will die and release, so you should be using and changing the filter pad or sock every day. Don't let the dead algae dissolve in the tank.

Use a turkey baster and blast your rocks nightly, algae will grow on detritus buildup. Again change the filter pads daily.

Increase the flow in the tank.

These things combined together will work 100%, but it will take time for that much algae to die back. Good luck
Thank you. I'll work on getting turbo snails but I really do wanna try a sea hare. Anybody know anything good about them? And what should I expect with a turkey baster?

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • No...

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back