Has my Longhorn cowfish bacterial infection

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys not sure if it's a emergency or not.

Please don't be critical and I'm trying to do what's best for him, I just haven't has fish with infections before

My newly brought longhorn cowfish I purchased yesterday has today come up in white patches on its body, still eating fine and swimming around so no concern there, their is also copper in the tank at the moment not sure of thag could be anything to do with it, also due to it being a new addition not sure if it's from stress. He does seem to be randomly jumping around the tank as if something is almost nipping at him

(He's currently in my Qt at the moment until he can go into my 300 gallon tank)

20240618_200846.jpg 20240618_200706.jpg 20240617_204516.jpg 20240617_204512.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a skin abrasion from being caught up and put in a plastic bag. Did it not have this when it was in the store?

What copper product are you using and what is the dose?

Cowfish are prone to bacterial infections. The jumping around, can you get that on video?

Jay

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a skin abrasion from being caught up and put in a plastic bag. Did it not have this when it was in the store?

What copper product are you using and what is the dose?

Cowfish are prone to bacterial infections. The jumping around, can you get that on video?

Jay
Hi thanks for the quick reply, I'm using copper power, at about 1.6 at the moment but am planning on rasing it to 2.5ppm.

I can try tonight to see if I can get it on video, it was just after a water change so to sure if that's anything to do with it, almost like he's being spooked.

He didn't seem to have it at the fish store, only popped up the next day, possibly something to do with his slime coat and a net?

Attachments

• 20240618_200717.mp4
    52.1 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video, I have tried my best to get good videos and images but he's moving to much

Yes - this cowfish has blunted horns, that also indicates physical (shipping) trauma. If it develops a secondary bacterial infection, you'll need to treat it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, such as Kanamycin or Neomycin.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree on abrasion and trauma and get to 2.25 in lieu of 2.5 within 24 hours
Ramping copper is an old rule with ionic copper and will allow any given disease to take hold of the fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should this hopefully heal its self without treatment? If I keep feedings up and treating the food with https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/2315/jbl-atvitol?country=gb, to keep its immune system strong, also saw i have been told that ruby reef pro would help it in the case of infection

A lack of vitamins can hinder a fish's immune system but adding vitamins will not cure any disease.

Ruby Reef would be a reef safe option, but it is not a true antibiotic and may not be strong enough for active infections.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing it vitamins more so to help keep it as healthy as possible, that way it can help the fish fight any small infections, but I can add a treatment to the tank if needed.

Have you got a link of what you recommend to treat my tank with.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on abrasion and trauma and get to 2.25 in lieu of 2.5 within 24 hours
Ramping copper is an old rule with ionic copper and will allow any given disease to take hold of the fish
Just to clear up my copper is currently about 1.6ppm but i was going to raise it to 2.5ppm it's not currently that high. But he was add to water with copper of about 1.4ppm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing it vitamins more so to help keep it as healthy as possible, that way it can help the fish fight any small infections, but I can add a treatment to the tank if needed.

Have you got a link of what you recommend to treat my tank with.
The two options we generally recommend are Neoplex or Kanaplex, dosed according the label instructions. If you can't get either of those, let me know what other broad spectrum antibiotics your store sells and I can advise you.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two options we generally recommend are Neoplex or Kanaplex, dosed according the label instructions. If you can't get either of those, let me know what other broad spectrum antibiotics your store sells and I can advise you.
I can get Neoplex online deliverd to me, is this treatment a must at this stage or incase anything comes of it.

On the good news, he looks to be clearing up already and looking better, also he's not jumping around now thankfully and he's still eat a large amount, I'll try to get some newer pictures

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get Neoplex online deliverd to me, is this treatment a must at this stage or incase anything comes of it.

On the good news, he looks to be clearing up already and looking better, also he's not jumping around now thankfully and he's still eat a large amount, I'll try to get some newer pictures

Because of the lag in your ordering it, I think you should have it on hand in case things start to move in the other direction.....

Back