haven't seen my pistol shrimp in two or three weeks, is he a goner?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him about 6 weeks and very quickly he and the Randall goby paired up and became partners in crime. But I have not seen my pistol in two or three weeks and it's like i see my gobi fluttering around trying to swoon him in, but he never appears, not that i see. Could he have fallen to prey to the fire shrimp? that seems doubtful. All other snails and hermit crabs are doing fine.

this is what I miss:

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point there was a 6 month disappearance for mine, then it showed up eventually. I had that one 6 years or more.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did hear him snap even when I saw him. I'm not sure why maybe the aquarium ambient noise of the water flowing or pumps were too loud or something

lemonjelleaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did hear him snap even when I saw him. I'm not sure why maybe the aquarium ambient noise of the water flowing or pumps were too loud or something

They're pretty loud, I'd be surprised if your ambient noise drowned that out. You might just not have clocked it even. My wife had no idea that the noise was a shrimp from my tank until I mentioned it. Or maybe you have fewer little snails for him to get after. I only have my shrimp and anecdotal experience to compare to.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could hear my pistol from across the opposite side of the house lol.

I didn't hear it much, maybe once a month you'd hear it and go "yep that was the shrimp", probably did it at night but its not enough to snap someone out of REM.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back