Heat shrink tube over threaded pvc joint?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of using heat shrink tubes over threaded pvc joint (or just regular push fit cemented joints even)?
A properly connected pvc joints, threaded or not, shouldn't leak so it is not needed but just as an extra measure to feel a little bit more safer.

One could even put a thin layer of silicone between the heat shrink tube and the pvc joint before shrinking the tube ( this is being done on electric wire connections) but that might be going too far.

I'll be doing some plumbing work for my tank in the near future and thought of this. I did a quick search and found some cheap heat shrink tubes big enough to fit the fitting sizes I'll be using.
Also found some video online of someone joining two pvc pipes by using cut out pet bottle as a heat shrink tube and 2 rubber bands, one on each pipe using them as sort of like rubber gaskets and also to hold them in place.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of using heat shrink tubes over threaded pvc joint (or just regular push fit cemented joints even)?
A properly connected pvc joints, threaded or not, shouldn't leak so it is not needed but just as an extra measure to feel a little bit more safer.

One could even put a thin layer of silicone between the heat shrink tube and the pvc joint before shrinking the tube ( this is being done on electric wire connections) but that might be going too far.

I'll be doing some plumbing work for my tank in the near future and thought of this. I did a quick search and found some cheap heat shrink tubes big enough to fit the fitting sizes I'll be using.
Also found some video online of someone joining two pvc pipes by using cut out pet bottle as a heat shrink tube and 2 rubber bands, one on each pipe using them as sort of like rubber gaskets and also to hold them in place.
Seems like an unnecessary step to hide bad joints.
Use primer and glue and done. I've never had a leaky glued joint.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother...regular heat shrink probably wouldn't be perfectly watertight...stuff sold as "marine" heat shrink also has a glue inside it that melts and helps seal it...no clue if it would be reef safe...but PVC is also affected by heat (its what electricians use to bend it) so you could potentially damage the pipe while heating it...PVC is designed to seal at pressures WAY above what our hobby subjects them to...

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother...regular heat shrink probably wouldn't be perfectly watertight...stuff sold as "marine" heat shrink also has a glue inside it that melts and helps seal it...no clue if it would be reef safe...but PVC is also affected by heat (its what electricians use to bend it) so you could potentially damage the pipe while heating it
Anything on the OD of the pipe doesn't have to be reef safe, it should never have contact with the water.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For threaded PVC joints, use thead sealant (AKA pipe dope), specifically made for PVC. Here's the stuff I use:

1718814813420.png

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back