HelloReef 15 - Good idea but not really complete

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that I have had some time with it, this post is more of a review of the HelloReef package and app. I want to throw it out there just in case someone has been thinking about one.

I am very thankful for winning it during one of the giveaways, and appreciate it a lot!!! It is fun for my daughter and me. But if I was a paying customer, I think I would like more information up front as part of their product listing.

1) App is informative, but definitely biased towards the app. There are many times it says to only follow the app, and not use the internet. That might also be partially my bias from previously having tanks and using forums like R2R. For someone with zero experience, this is a great step by step, but I feel like it doesn't give a good foundation for future troubleshooting.

2) The lessons pop up after completing a previous lesson. This is great, but the numbering is off, and it drives my OCD mad. They are not always unlocked in number order, so for example currently I have 34B and 33A and 35A to complete. This is not bad, but there were times where I had to complete 17A for 16B to unlock. It made me second guess if I was missing steps.

3) If I was a paying customer, I think this would bug me the most. They claim it is everything you need. It is not, and it is not clear that, that is the case as you can see right from their website. I don't think I mind the stuff is not part of it, but I would not want it to be advertised as such, only to find out I need to buy/build more items.
A - No stand
B - No information about water/RODI until you get about 1/3 of the way into the lessons.
C - No CUC
D - No lid
E - The gift card for animal(s) is only $20. They make it seem like it includes a clownfish and anemone.

4) The equipment that is included is name brand and high quality.

As I mentioned, its a good idea and nice starter pack, but needs to be clearer about what is included and needed. I feel like its a step up from Finding Nemo syndrome, but not clear about what the future for the 15 gallon SW tank really holds.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1725031225169.png

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where is the 20$ gift card used?

Have you noticed issues with the light? I read some people had uneven light, and one side was whitish while the middle and other side were properly mixed

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the 20$ gift card used?

Have you noticed issues with the light? I read some people had uneven light, and one side was whitish while the middle and other side were properly mixed
I have not got the gift card yet. I think it's just like a visa since they said it can be used online or at a lfs.

Have not noticed anything with the lights when I tried them out. But I had to build a stand which took forever

Spartan037

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone trying to get started in the reef hobby I noticed this as well. They only thing that really peaked my eye was the equipment and the price. I really only want to get this because buying the parts individually is more expensive. I feel like it gives you about 30% of the equipment someone would need to run a successful tank. Everything else from QT & observation tanks, medication, cleaning supplies, backup heater/lights/pumps, RODI, water storage, & backup plan when power goes out. BRS doesn't seem to account for it and can get really expensive when you have to get last minute equipment because of an emergency. I am still debating if I should get this. The tank fits my apartment but I am still struggling to understand the extra peripheries I need to keep it as little backbreaking as it can be.

IceNein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone trying to get started in the reef hobby I noticed this as well. They only thing that really peaked my eye was the equipment and the price. I really only want to get this because buying the parts individually is more expensive. I feel like it gives you about 30% of the equipment someone would need to run a successful tank. Everything else from QT & observation tanks, medication, cleaning supplies, backup heater/lights/pumps, RODI, water storage, & backup plan when power goes out. BRS doesn't seem to account for it and can get really expensive when you have to get last minute equipment because of an emergency. I am still debating if I should get this. The tank fits my apartment but I am still struggling to understand the extra peripheries I need to keep it as little backbreaking as it can be.
You don't actually need anything else. Yes, you should quarantine, but you can buy fish already quarantined from Dr Reef, as an example. Yes, you should get an RO/DI (I did), but you do not need one. For a tank this size, you can buy distilled water at the store. Yes, you should probably get a stand, but the tank's total weight is going to be under 200 lbs, so almost all furniture can realistically support it.

I disagree that buying individually would be more expensive. It's about on par. Someone did the math, but if you go to the BRS website and total the components individually, you're not really saving that much. What you're getting is a kit that will have everything you absolutely need, without having to piece it together yourself. You're also getting someone telling you what to do step by step. Since you're here, you probably don't need that, you're probably the type of person who reads and reads and reads before doing something, but that's not true for everyone.

I bought it. I think it's a decent value for the money. Before that I had planned on putting together a 20gal aqueon with HOB equipment, but I was getting analysis paralysis on what to buy. This has everything I need. I can choose to buy more equipment, like maybe a skimmer, a better light, a better wavemaker, or I can skip it.

I very generally agree with @Johnd651 's review. It's a decent product, but it may or may not be for you. I agree that the app could use some work.

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does say setup the tank
CUC is not necessary, it is something that a lot of people use because of how helpful It is, but if u are cleaning the tank a lot and enough, it is not necessary
and a clown at my lfs costs only 20$...
this is something that if I had the money, I would buy
it does come with everything you need, and for a 15 gallon, you do not really need any stand, just put it on any hard and sturdy surface, kitchen counter, desktop, but do some research too

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does say setup the tank
CUC is not necessary, it is something that a lot of people use because of how helpful It is, but if u are cleaning the tank a lot and enough, it is not necessary
and a clown at my lfs costs only 20$...
this is something that if I had the money, I would buy
it does come with everything you need, and for a 15 gallon, you do not really need any stand, just put it on any hard and sturdy surface, kitchen counter, desktop, but do some research too
When you take their courses, they say you need a CUC and even tell you what to get and how many.

Also they say clown and anenome.

Personally I like stands for my tanks.

I just think their marketing is deceiving for the first time buyer. Tell me I need special water, extra animals, and a monthly supply of salt before I buy it. Tell me it's a $20 gift card, not a coupon towards animal(s). (That makes it sound like you fill out a form and they send you an animal starter pack.) Not a month into you learn all this. If your going to continue, your now dedicated to buying salt, water, etc. If you realize this is more then you bargained for, your SOL with a 15x15x15 paper weight.

It creates that finding Nemo syndrome. Some people continue and enjoy it. Others end up killing the animals and letting it go to waste.

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you take their courses, they say you need a CUC and even tell you what to get and how many.

Also they say clown and anenome.

Personally I like stands for my tanks.

I just think their marketing is deceiving for the first time buyer. Tell me I need special water, extra animals, and a monthly supply of salt before I buy it. Tell me it's a $20 gift card, not a coupon towards animal(s). (That makes it sound like you fill out a form and they send you an animal starter pack.) Not a month into you learn all this. If your going to continue, your now dedicated to buying salt, water, etc. If you realize this is more then you bargained for, your SOL with a 15x15x15 paper weight.

It creates that finding Nemo syndrome. Some people continue and enjoy it. Others end up killing the animals and letting it go to waste.
Correct and I agree on all points! I didn’t know about the cuc part though, I thought u just mentioned it, not them! But it would be losing money tbh, u have to think of it from a business perspective, the stand, that would be a great idea if they made a kit with that, I feel like they should make a store or something where it includes cuc, clownfish gc and nem gc(the nem gc would be either 20-40$ or a discount code usable at any store)

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • No...

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back