Help, blue reef chromis rapidly opening and closing mouth

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know but I feel like something has to be wrong all other fish look fine but my blue reef chromi is opening its mouth very fast is this a problem had it for about a year with no problems or anything like this.

Attachments

• 74658407551__EB083378-92E6-45D7-ABA9-85996C4EC77F.MOV
    867.6 KB
OP
OP
K

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know but I feel like something has to be wrong all other fish look fine but my blue reef chromi is opening its mouth very fast is this a problem had it for about a year with no problems or anything like this.
He has been doing this for at least 20 minutes I’m getting worried.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Assure no change in temperature and any signs of it itching, scratching, darting?
Adding air stone will increase oxygen.
Fish appears a little thin - Has it been eating?

OP
OP
K

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure no change in temperature and any signs of it itching, scratching, darting?
Temp is good no itching no darting he has been eating he eats a lot every feeding I was gone for the summer and the people I had watching them accidentally closed the auto feeder for a week so they were very skinny, I did just switch from hob filter to a canister and it makes way less bubbles.

OP
OP
K

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the output slightly above the water to make it more wavy and add bubbles hopefully it helps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Temp is good no itching no darting he has been eating he eats a lot every feeding I was gone for the summer and the people I had watching them accidentally closed the auto feeder for a week so they were very skinny, I did just switch from hob filter to a canister and it makes way less bubbles.
The filtration used may play a part as it appears you are lacking chemical and biological filtration with the methods used. Lack of oxygen despite other fish not bothered yet may play a role.
Your filter unit is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished with use of carbon and GFO as examples
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100

OP
OP
K

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filtration used may play a part as it appears you are lacking chemical and biological filtration with the methods used. Lack of oxygen despite other fish not bothered yet may play a role.
Your filter unit is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished with use of carbon and GFO as examples
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
The canister filter I use (Fluval 207 if you want to check it out) actually does have those it has a special area with carbon and another area with ceramic rings the hob filter I had had only filter floss and a small area I was able to fit a few ceramic rings
So it’s a massive improvement so
I’m assuming oxygen

IMG_3906.jpeg

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canister filter I use (Fluval 207 if you want to check it out) actually does have those it has a special area with carbon and another area with ceramic rings the hob filter I had had only filter floss and a small area I was able to fit a few ceramic rings
So it’s a massive improvement so
I’m assuming oxygen

IMG_3906.jpeg
In case you still want to post a video just post in on YouTube and make it a private link.

Back