Help with 2 Acans

adespain81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These 2 guys don't looks so well. Any ideas of what I can/should do?

20240914_102221.jpg 20240914_101829.jpg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on getting a bigger tank for the tang? That guy needs a way bigger tank than you have. A six foot tank is best for him.

OP
OP
A

adespain81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on getting a bigger tank for the tang? That guy needs a way bigger tank than you have. A six foot tank is best for him.
Oh thanks. I thought this thread was about assistance with my Acans. Thanks for chiming in on something irrelevant. Tangs are fine in 32 gal biocube. They do quite well actually. But thanks anyway.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks. I thought this thread was about assistance with my Acans. Thanks for chiming in on something irrelevant. Tangs are fine in 32 gal biocube. They do quite well actually. But thanks anyway.
Tangs in fact are not fine in a 32. Convict tangs need at least 125 gallons. Tangs need a lot of horizontal swimming room.

OP
OP
A

adespain81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

adespain81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs in fact are not fine in a 32. Convict tangs need at least 125 gallons. Tangs need a lot of horizontal swimming room.
Ok great. Thanks for letting me know. I will let you know when he tells me he is unhappy or when he dies because he didn't have enough room to swim horizontally. BTW. This isn't my first tank nor is it my first tang. Thanks though.

First acans? Yep sure is. And I was hoping if I posted a question about my Acans I would get some help, not an opinion on my tang and the size of.my tank.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salinity is a little low but I don’t think 1 point is going to do this.

My first hunch is it’s nutritional. If that’s the stock biocube / nano cube light it’s probably not sufficient. Or they aren’t being fed enough.

I target feed my acans 2-4x a week. They can eat a lot. Mine gobble down a few pieces of mysis. And in a few minutes are ready for seconds

Do you ever see them with the feeder tentacles out around the mouth?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it's not ok for the tang to be in a 32 gallon tank. And yes I will chime in when I see something like this. In all of your earlier posts about the convict's health, you made sure you didn't show the tank size. No one will tell you it's ok to put him in a 32 gallon tank.

OP
OP
A

adespain81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a little low but I don’t think 1 point is going to do this.

My first hunch is it’s nutritional. If that’s the stock biocube / nano cube light it’s probably not sufficient. Or they aren’t being fed enough.

I target feed my acans 2-4x a week. They can eat a lot. Mine gobble down a few pieces of mysis. And in a few minutes are ready for seconds

Do you ever see them with the feeder tentacles out around the mouth?
No. I haven't seen the feeder tentacles but to be honest I haven't looked. I will try feeling them more to see if that helps. Do you know hiw much flow they like? I have two powerheads on opposite sides with random.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on getting a bigger tank for the tang? That guy needs a way bigger tank than you have. A six foot tank is best
100%
Op You can NOT keep a convict tang in a biocube 32
Who told you they do fine in a biocube 32?

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we see the evidence of the convict tang doing "quite well" in a 32 gallon

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. Thanks for letting me know. I will let you know when he tells me he is unhappy or when he dies because he didn't have enough room to swim horizontally.
He will die, let's see how big do convict tangs get? Around 11 inches. How big is the biocube? 20 inches long 21 inches wide 21 inches tall. That is not anywhere close to a good amount of space, he could hardly swim from side to side. And before you say "guys stop ignoring the acan problem", everyone has ignored the acan problem (except @VintageReefer because hes too nice :) ), because the tang problem is way worse.
Rant over

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. I haven't seen the feeder tentacles but to be honest I haven't looked. I will try feeling them more to see if that helps. Do you know hiw much flow they like? I have two powerheads on opposite sides with random.

Medium is ok
Low will let them inflate more

They can tolerate both but lower the better
8BEC31A3-F22B-4977-B41D-EA25E3C2FB42.jpeg

Also low light.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will die, let's see how big do convict tangs get? Around 11 inches. How big is the biocube? 20 inches long 21 inches wide 21 inches tall. That is not anywhere close to a good amount of space, he could hardly swim from side to side. And before you say "guys stop ignoring the acan problem", everyone has ignored the acan problem (except @VintageReefer because hes too nice :) ), because the tang problem is way worse.
Rant over
It looks the tang will unfortunately be stuck in that cube until it gets too big and dies : /

OP
OP
A

adespain81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rant

It looks the tang will unfortunately be stuck in that cube until it gets too big and dies : /
No. I just walked him over to my neighbor who has a 4000 gallon tank. So he now has plenty of room to swim horizontally and will grow to the mandatory 11 inches. Matter of fact he swam horizontally 17 times the minute we dropped him in and I think he grew an extra inch in 5 minutes. Super cool!

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if we do something about it, call in the tang poilce.
download.gif

(Seriously though, do not keep that tang, give it to someone with an appropriately sized tank)

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if we do something about it, call in the tang poilce.
download.gif

(Seriously though, do not keep that tang, give it to someone with an appropriately sized tank)
Well looks like we got some new info for tang health and longevity! Looks like im getting a sail fin for my 26 gallon!

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rant over

If he has tang issues or coral issues related to the tang, and I have advice worth giving, then I’ll discuss the tang.

I don’t know the op or their long term plans, they could have a 300G in the basement. Who knows. Asked acan questions and I feel like I can help guide

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back