Help with experiment parameters discussion on DOC saltwater demand and microbial evaluation.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally see your points and I really appreciate you taking the time.

Unfortunately the experiment is not going the way most folks would think it would.

Taking that I’ve started this system around two weeks ago it is already showing signs of stability.

On the 10 of the October my parameters were as follow.

No3 5 mg/l
Po4 0.4 mg/l
Kh 8
Ph 8
O2 10 mg/

At that date my daily dose was

0.002 grams DOC
4 ml of nitrogen solution
0 ml of phosphates

Since then, dosage has been consistent.

Today the on the 16 of October

No3 5 mg/l
Po4 0.4 mg/l
Kh 9.5
Ph 8.2
O2 10 mg/l

At first observation, phosphate has been stable at 0.4 mg/l without any additions since the 10 of October. (Barely any phosphate has been used in the last 6 days) there was a exception on week one most likely due to colonisation of the surface area.

The daily consumption of nitrogen/nitrogen has been around 0.8 mg/l

There has not been any impact on oxygen the colour has darkened today so probably above 10 mg/l

Under the microscope, on the protein skimmer content, I can see that there is many different types of bacteria and Protozoa flourishing in the tank that leaves space for discussion if diversity is really better, so far I can’t understand the ph rise in 0.2 and the Kh rise in 1.5 as I don’t have any photosynthetic organisms in the system (no water changes have been performed). In addition the DOC used has had no impact on phosphate since the system has been stable or 6 days.
Hard to say what’s going on in such a short time and with little experimental detail. It could be something as simple as nothing is happening and there was a mistake made with the nitrogen addition. Here are additional ideas.

If the analytical measurements are not being made with a photometer, the results can have a large variation possibly making the comparison of results meaningless.

Since the measured concentration of the added reagents i mediately after addition is not reported, at least once, there is no way to confirm what is being added.

The hourly consumption rate is not reported. That could be useful information about the functioning of the system over time. Infrequent measurements mean we cannot tell the difference between a system consuming nutrients one hour v 24 hours. That tells us something about whether the system is growing or contracting.

Why was the phosphate dose stopped?

What reagents are being added for N, P, and C additions? What is the reagent concentration? How often are reagents prepared?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say what’s going on in such a short time and with little experimental detail. It could be something as simple as nothing is happening and there was a mistake made with the nitrogen addition. Here are additional ideas.

If the analytical measurements are not being made with a photometer, the results can have a large variation possibly making the comparison of results meaningless.

Since the measured concentration of the added reagents i mediately after addition is not reported, at least once, there is no way to confirm what is being added.

The hourly consumption rate is not reported. That could be useful information about the functioning of the system over time. Infrequent measurements mean we cannot tell the difference between a system consuming nutrients one hour v 24 hours. That tells us something about whether the system is growing or contracting.

Why was the phosphate dose stopped?

What reagents are being added for N, P, and C additions? What is the reagent concentration? How often are reagents prepared?
A lab environment, equipment, lots of free time and $$$$ would certainly help and explain some of what has happened much better.
The phosphate was stopped as this type of DOC doesn’t affect phosphate maybe It’s not available to all bacteria.

Last edited:

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about my questions?

I’ve missed that part, are you asking the concentration of the daily dose or the solution concentration?

At the beginning I was testing daily to adjust the balance, the last 6 days have been just every two days. The nitrogen dose is spread 12 hours apart and it seems that is all being converted by nitrifying bacteria to nitrate.
I should be able to do some hourly testing over the weekend if you believe it could be beneficial to the results.

This is a 4x view of the current Protozoa being harvested, taking that it’s still a young project.

Last edited:

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve missed that part, are you asking the concentration of the daily dose or the solution concentration?

What is the nitrogen compound being dosed?
What is the measured concentration in the aquarium immediately after dosing?
Howare you measuring the nitrogen compound in the aquarium?

Same three questions for phosphate and carbohydrate.

At the beginning I was testing daily to adjust the balance, the last 6 days have been just every two days. The nitrogen dose is spread 12 hours apart and it seems that is all being converted by nitrifying bacteria to nitrate.
I should be able to do some hourly testing over the weekend if you believe it could be beneficial to the results.

OK thanks..

This is a 4x view of the current Protozoa being harvested, taking that it’s still a young project.

This doesn’t look like protozoa. Did you send the correct link.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the nitrogen compound being dosed?
What is the measured concentration in the aquarium immediately after dosing?
Howare you measuring the nitrogen compound in the aquarium?

The nitrogen is a off the shelf product, it’s a mix of nitrogen ingredients that 10ml is equivalent to 1 ppm nitrate in 24 hours in a 100 litres. (Currently adding 4ml day in 50 litres)
The only way I’ve tested this was with a No2 test kit that showed 0.1 ppm after a couple hours from dosing 2ml it’s all transformer by morning before second dose.

The phosphate solution is a of the shelf product also, 1ml is equivalent to 0.01 ppm in 100 litres a few minutes after dosing. I have tested this before and is accurate. (Currently not adding phosphate as demand is minimal)

The Carbon is a carbohydrate extracted from algae I believe it’s a semi labile dissolved organic carbon, I can only have a educated guess of the strength of it although it stays from a few days to weeks in the water column. ( currently adding 0.002 grams day) In the video that I’ve shared, shows the carbon as the large still matter at 4x and 10x magnifications (new video)

Same three questions for phosphate and carbohydrate.

OK thanks..

This doesn’t look like protozoa. Did you send the correct link.

Yes, this is the correct video at 4 magnifications. The still matter is the carbon used in this test and I assume the Protozoa are the organisms moving faster in the video, there is also millions of smaller bacteria although they only start being visible from 10 magnifications ( I have a video of that if you like to have a look) my 40x is not working properly need to order a new one.
In addition everything on this videos it’s mainly in the water column not from the tank surfaces.

Edit:

10 magnification video

And 4 magnification

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would be a option here to send a sample to DNA testing and identify the particular strain of bacteria in the medium that is breaking down the carbon, but I’ve spent more than I wanted with this and identifying a certain species of bacteria wouldn’t really make a big difference imo.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrogen is a off the shelf product, it’s a mix of nitrogen ingredients that 10ml is equivalent to 1 ppm nitrate in 24 hours in a 100 litres. (Currently adding 4ml day in 50 litres)
The only way I’ve tested this was with a No2 test kit that showed 0.1 ppm after a couple hours from dosing 2ml it’s all transformer by morning before second dose.

The phosphate solution is a of the shelf product also, 1ml is equivalent to 0.01 ppm in 100 litres a few minutes after dosing. I have tested this before and is accurate. (Currently not adding phosphate as demand is minimal)

The Carbon is a carbohydrate extracted from algae I believe it’s a semi labile dissolved organic carbon, I can only have a educated guess of the strength of it although it stays from a few days to weeks in the water column. ( currently adding 0.002 grams day) In the video that I’ve shared, shows the carbon as the large still matter at 4x and 10x magnifications (new video)

Yes, this is the correct video at 4 magnifications. The still matter is the carbon used in this test and I assume the Protozoa are the organisms moving faster in the video, there is also millions of smaller bacteria although they only start being visible from 10 magnifications ( I have a video of that if you like to have a look) my 40x is not working properly need to order a new one.
In addition everything on this videos it’s mainly in the water column not from the tank surfaces.

Edit:

10 magnification video

And 4 magnification

Thanks, this helps me understand the nature if this experiment.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this helps me understand the nature if this experiment.
No worries, and the video? Should I be looking at something other than Protozoa?

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back