High Nitrate problems

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for a bit over 2 years but we lost about half of our fish in a power outage last spring and I hadn't been very focused on maintenance. Life calmed down for me so I decided to do more than keep the rest of my fish alive about two months ago. I started with a nitrate test kit and we were about at 30. I started doing daily 20% water changes and changing my socks everyb3 days. I got the tank down to 11.6ppm nitrates after two weeks.

At that point I found a gorgeous sherman BTA at the LFS

20240707_125839.jpg

After another week of every other day 4% water changes. I tested my nitrates again and they were at 5.6ppm. I was worried about bottoming them out so I stopped doing water changes for two days and then tested again. My nitrates were up to 15.6ppm. I went back to the every other day 4% change and tested again 3 days later and my nitrates were at 23.2ppm. I went to every day 4% changes since I was trying to keep things stable for the nem. I've done two of those every day changes and just tested and my nitrates are at 32.6 and 28.6 (I ran two test just because I'm so confused).

My wife brought home some blastos and a rock flower nem the day the tank was at 5.6 ppm. And I ordered a refreshed clean up crew that just went in yesterday to start getting my algea back in shape. I have noticed the tank is a bit cloudy at lights on the last 6 days (since we put in the blastos). Nothing has died and my clown fish are happy enough that they just laid eggs for the first time two nights ago.

Any idea what's going on and what I can do to stop it?

OP
OP
Oredigger77

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a variety of pellet food once a day. Works out to about 5 pinches with selcon added in. I alternate frozen food every other day. I also put in a sheet of nori per day.

I've got a rabbit fish, 2 clowns, 2 sand filtering gobies, and one purple tang.

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are your phosphates?
CUC will help soon....
You might want to think about (I hate recommending) NoPox if high nitrates & phosphates remain an issue....

OP
OP
Oredigger77

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only checked phosphates once during this and it was the day I had the 5.6 ppm nitrates. At that point my phosphates were 1.2ppm

Salty2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates alway went up for me. I do the nopox and it definitely works for the nitrates nit so much if any on the phosphates

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back