Hitchhiker predators

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I used live ocean rock to start up my 60 gallon breeder and I’m seeing a lot of different critters out. So far I’ve seen emerald crabs, red mithrax crabs, so many of starfish, a mantis shrimp (I’ve seen one but I think I hear more), pistol shrimp, a very small pencil urchin, some fire worms/ bristle worms, a big flatworm, a small hermit crab, a very long gray worm, a sponge crab, and some other strange critters.

I have no clue what some these are and I’m assuming some of these have gotten killed by the mantis. I know that some of these critters are not reef safe so I’d like to know what fish I can get to get rid of some of these harmful critters?

I want to keep the mantis shrimp because it doesn’t seem like it could kill a fish. It’s pretty small and I don’t think it’s a peacock. I managed to take this picture of it; not sure if anyone can ID from this picture but it shows an estimate of its size.

IMG_3691.jpeg

Attachments

• RPReplay_Final1715109040.mov
    13.7 MB
Last edited:

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mantis are the best!

20240410_120116.jpg
That's mine ^

I would bet money you've got a Neopgonodactylus Wennerae or something very similar if your rock is from florida.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, I used live ocean rock to start up my 60 gallon breeder and I’m seeing a lot of different critters out. So far I’ve seen emerald crabs, red mithrax crabs, so many of starfish, a mantis shrimp (I’ve seen one but I think I hear more), pistol shrimp, a very small pencil urchin, some fire worms/ bristle worms, a big flatworm, a small hermit crab, a very long gray worm, a sponge crab, and some other strange critters.

I have no clue what some these are and I’m assuming some of these have gotten killed by the mantis. I know that some of these critters are not reef safe so I’d like to know what fish I can get to get rid of some of these harmful critters?

I want to keep the mantis shrimp because it doesn’t seem like it could kill a fish. It’s pretty small and I don’t think it’s a peacock. I managed to take this picture of it; not sure if anyone can ID from this picture but it shows an estimate of its size.

IMG_3691.jpeg
Looks like mantis shrimp which will eat any inverts and possibly grab fish at night. You can setup a mantis shrimp tank with rocks as caves and enjoy it as is but will reap havoc in a community tank

Back