HOB overflow, return pump, and sump questions!

Klewtz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning!

I currently have a 55 Gal tank and can not drill in the side of the tank so thinking about a HOB overflow. The overflow I’m looking at says it has 600 gph flow rate. When looking for a return pump I’m assuming I need something with around that same flow rate if not the same. Attached are some pictures of what I’m thinking please let me know your thoughts or anything else I should be doing regarding this!!! I am going to use a 20 gal long for the sump. I attached 2 pictures of pumps one that has a flow rate of a little under 600 and one a little over
IMG_0759.png
IMG_0757.png
IMG_0758.png
IMG_0760.png

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go bigger. You can always turn them down.
Also head pressure, 660 is based on zero head. You will have at least 4 foot head.
Look for head charts on the pumps.

Here is a chart to help.
1.2 meters is 48"
Measure your bottom of sump to top rim of display, that's your head pressure.

Screenshot_20240627_091925_Chrome.jpg

Assuming you have 48" head, that gives you about 2250lph = 595gph @ 100% on. IMO, you don't want equipment 100% on all the time.

I would probably go for the 4.0 myself.

Last edited:

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2c having a HOB with similar capacity (Lifereef version):

Cent 1: Get a DC return pump with an out-of-tank control so you very easily can adjust flow up and down.

Cent 2: Depending what you’re using your sump for you don’t need 10x turnover. For many sump uses 2-4 is plenty, just make sure you’re running enough flow to keep air bubbles from collecting in the siphon.

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go bigger. You can always turn them down.
Also head pressure, 660 is based on zero head. You will have at least 4 foot head.
Look for head charts on the pumps.

Here is a chart to help.
1.2 meters is 48"
Measure your bottom of sump to top rim of display, that's your head pressure.

Screenshot_20240627_091925_Chrome.jpg

Assuming you have 48" head, that gives you about 2250lph = 595gph @ 100% on. IMO, you don't want equipment 100% on all the time.

I would probably go for the 4.0 myself.
Thank you that is very helpful and exactly what I needed!

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2c having a HOB with similar capacity (Lifereef version):

Cent 1: Get a DC return pump with an out-of-tank control so you very easily can adjust flow up and down.

Cent 2: Depending what you’re using your sump for you don’t need 10x turnover. For many sump uses 2-4 is plenty, just make sure you’re running enough flow to keep air bubbles from collecting in the siphon.
Is there a brand or type of DC pump you would suggest? And why do you say a DC pump over the others? And thank you for the insight!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 jebao dcp return pumps and am very happy with them. I have a 3500, 5000,and 15000. I can't hear the pumps over the water flow in the sump. They're cheap enough I can afford to keep one on the shelf as backup or to rotate out for cleaning. I would never run a hob overflow without being able to adjust the flow. Personally I'm not a fan of the overflows that require a vacuum pump but thats me. I ran 2 eshopp 800 on the 180 in my showcase tank.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a brand or type of DC pump you would suggest? And why do you say a DC pump over the others? And thank you for the insight!
I have a Hydor Seltz DDC 500GPH. They make a stronger 750GPH also.

DC pumps, power heads and so on can have their power easily adjusted via a control so you can turn them up/down by changing how much power they’re using.

AC pumps, power heads, etc tend to have only a single power setting (adjustable controls for AC are more complex so often not included in these devices) so if you want to adjust flow you need to add valves to them, which adds complexity to your plumbing.

My plumbing is literally a flexible PVC tube up into the return, and a flexible PVC tube down to the sump. No joints, elbows, valves, etc., enabled in part by the return pump being controllable.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 71 27.0%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 64 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.3%
Back