Honest opinions only

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I need everyone’s honest and brutal opinions. Just hit me with facts without sugar coating anything please.

I ran into a family selling their fish tank. I think it was a deal of a lifetime but please, what do you guys think? They sold me a Red sea xl300 65 gallon tank with Red Sea stand. 15 gallon sump, all plumbing, Red Sea Skimmer, Red sea Reef mat, Red Sea ATO, Red Sea return pump, Red sea Dual controller, half bucket of salt, Red sea screen, Heater, half bottles of Red sea Calcium and other chemicals, all this for $600.

Tank has minor scratches with no leaks, does need cleaning. Stand looks new, all electronics are working.

What are the bad things about these tanks for all experienced reefers.

Please and thank you!

123_1.jpeg 123_1.jpeg 123_1.jpeg 123_1.jpeg 123_1.jpeg

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? The G1 red sea tanks were known for having seam failures, particularly in the bottom seam of the front panel. There are quite a few threads about red sea tank failures on this forum and on the internet. It might be worth checking those out. Overall everything looks in pretty good condition and $600 isnt bad for everything.

OP
OP
B

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check out the seams before buying. No bubbles, no water penetration past the seam. I was aware of the issues but for that price to me I was going to risk it. Would you recommend keeping it or selling it? I didn’t ask how old it was but any way to check through serial number?

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check out the seams before buying. No bubbles, no water penetration past the seam. I was aware of the issues but for that price to me I was going to risk it. Would you recommend keeping it or selling it? I didn’t ask how old it was but any way to check through serial number?
That's a steal. I have the exact same tank for 3.5 years now with 0 issues.

Attachments

• 20240802_115643.jpg
    20240802_115643.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 73

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I need everyone’s honest and brutal opinions. Just hit me with facts without sugar coating anything please.

I ran into a family selling their fish tank. I think it was a deal of a lifetime but please, what do you guys think? They sold me a Red sea xl300 65 gallon tank with Red Sea stand. 15 gallon sump, all plumbing, Red Sea Skimmer, Red sea Reef mat, Red Sea ATO, Red Sea return pump, Red sea Dual controller, half bucket of salt, Red sea screen, Heater, half bottles of Red sea Calcium and other chemicals, all this for $600.

Tank has minor scratches with no leaks, does need cleaning. Stand looks new, all electronics are working.

What are the bad things about these tanks for all experienced reefers.

Please and thank you!

123_1.jpeg 123_1.jpeg 123_1.jpeg 123_1.jpeg 123_1.jpeg
Honestly I think you got a really good deal for the price

OP
OP
B

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a killer deal with the extras also. Here is my sump to give you an idea on set up. If you're in the 818 I'm in so cal to.
Awesome. Yeah I’m in SoCal. This is my first tank with a sump. Cool if I hit you up with some questions here and there? I think I got it down but flooding my home is what I am terrified of. Lol

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Yeah I’m in SoCal. This is my first tank with a sump. Cool if I hit you up with some questions here and there? I think I got it down but flooding my home is what I am terrified of. Lol
Yea for sure message me. Just leak test that thing outside where you have it and closely examine the seams for wear

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly advise to lay the tank on it's back or front side asap and not on the bottom with the bulkheads supporting all that weight. You do not want the glass to crack around those holes.

OP
OP
B

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly advise to lay the tank on it's back or front side asap and not on the bottom with the bulkheads supporting all that weight. You do not want the glass to crack around those holes.
Most definitely. We had some folded towels under it so the bulkheads were elevated. Those things will crack easily.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little nervous to transfer everything over. First tank with a sump. Any first timer tips?
Well you can expect some die off hopefully minimal. Personally I would get a couple pieces of real live wet ocean rock to add with the stuff you are moving over and turbo charge you new tank biome. Keep the sump simple. Remember you want 3x to 5x turnover in the sump so there is some dwell time there. Some people run higher to 7x to 10x but I would start lower so adjust the pump GPH to match this ratio accounting for vertical loss as well.

OP
OP
B

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being super excited. I checked seams and zero signs on issues. Filled the tank and bam! Bubbles in the seal. Ruined my day! Anyone know of a tank that fits this stand with sump plumbing. Man I was so excited! I was so close to throwing in the towel on reefing!

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a great deal. Let's start with that. You've got a good skimmer AND a Fleece Roller! Your not going to have much in the way of excess nutrients. Really, I don't think you'll be using the Fleece much at all. But the option will always be there. You want to make sure your NO3 and PO4 don't bottom out to zero so adjustments wl need to be made.

Concerning the heater, throw it away and get another one. It's a cheap piece of your occupants lifeline and it it goes it can be a tank killer. I'd get a Finnex Titanium Heater with a Controller. The Titanium housing acts as a ground probe. And while we're on that subject, I'd Invest in GCFI outlets and get those set up first. Electricity + Water=bad thjngs!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is worth zero or negative money to me since if it leaks/bursts it will cost you money. The other equipment has some value.

Back