Hope this isnt a silly Question about cycling media?

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys i was just wanting to hear peoples thoughts on cycled media.

So i have a tank that has got mature live rock for 2.5 years ( its been in my current tank for 1 month from another reefer). I am wanting to start a 10gallon waterbox cube up. i have new matrix in my chamber since i started the tank a month ago, how long before the matrix is "populated" with media enough that i can put this in the new waterbox 10 and essentially have a pre cycled tank?

Thanks in advance!

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i

So i have a tank that has got mature live rock for 2.5 years ( its been in my current tank for 1 month from another reefer). I am wanting to start a 10gallon waterbox cube up. i have new matrix in my chamber since i started the tank a month ago, how long before the matrix is "populated" with media enough that i can put this in the new waterbox 10 and essentially have a pre cycled tank?

Thanks in advance!
The simplest way to tell is to test it. Does it quickly remove the ammonia when a sample of the matrix is placed in a small volume a saltwater containing ammonia, say 0.5 ppm?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance!
I’d just take some of that nice aged rock and put it in the 10 . Problem solved as it should be pretty much insta cured . At the very least it’ll add some biodiversity to the new tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, easier to just move 1 or 2 rocks over - the tank is cycled.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back