How can I kill this purple sponge?

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this purple sponge that grows on random corals. It first took over a colony of candy canes, then a colony of Hawkins, and now it's taking over a colony of cats eye. I've tried exposing it to air and pouring hydrogen peroxide on it but all it does is tick it off for a few days then it's back to normal. I've stoped dosing sponge power to slow it down and I moved it up closer to the light to see if that will work. How can I get rid of it without harming the cats eye?
eb76192e19076c4124885239c8a2323a.jpg

3a9b73c6363c55b2cf8739873eef8b89.jpg

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually kinda nice looking lol

It is. I bought a sponge years ago and 4 set ups with the same rock and its back. The problem is that it's killing the coral it decides to grow on. I had a huge colony of candy canes and it whipped it out. I was only able to save three heads. I'll have to post a pic of the after math. I threw that piece in my refugium and it's taking off in there

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in my tank. It's a sure death sentence.
I saw some really pretty and bright sponge corals. Very inexpensive. I am a newbie and infact havnt got my first coral yet. I thought it would be a great idea to add color and size, but cant find much info, so not a good idea?

DOES YOUR REEF HAVE A 'BOSS'? SHOW OFF YOUR REEF BOSS IN THE THREAD!

• Yes, my tank has a fish boss!

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • No, none of my fish stand out in that way.

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Yes, and the boss is me!

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back