So the fish shops say dont lisen to you guys but here i am…

get-salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My LFS says the same thing about the forms.

Here is how I learned the LFS is full of it with misinformation and the forms actually help:

About 3 months into my first tank. Got velvet in the tank, watching my fish die. LFS said nothing to be done but watch them die. Not in my nature. Went and looked at the forms and found jay’s articles on velvet. Was able to save 3 fish following his guide.

Now I get advice exclusively from here :)
when i first started with salt, i saw this amazing butterfly fish and wanted to get it. LFS guy knew i was a newbie but did not stop me from getting it - if you know anything about butterfly fish : )

luckily, my buddy stopped me and explained to me why i shouldnt get one.

You want returning customers even if they will only buy ONE hermit that worth $2 bucks and NOT ticked off a customer and lose them forever. IMO OC

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shall i follow him

He seems to know what he's doing, but it looks like all fresh water videos. While there are some similarities between fresh and salt, there are lots and lots of differences.

BTW, on the website for your tank, they show a skimmer you can fit on it. You may want to check that out.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i went to the fish shop and they said dont lisen to the forum guys as you guys have misinformation

However i wanted both views

Firstly i have a saltwater tank and iv been told never to do a water change with saltwater

So when i take out 10 percent water refill with RO water not saltwater?

Secondly i have a aqua one nano 40 tank 55l

The fish shop guys said leave it as it is - dont look online and dont go on the forums to make changes to it in regards to filtering system

Online i seen they taken out the cartridges and put Like normal sponges in place and then in the other two compartments they have sponges and bio balls and cermaic rings pic attached

Finally i did a transfer from old fish tank to new

I kept the old sponges and put them in the new fish tank and i moved all the live rock which was covered in green slime im assuming cyno cleaned it and put in in the new tank for the bacteria

New fish tank seems clean but the live rocks have gone abit red pics attached?

My filteration is the clearer pic with the green sponge ( the tank with white sponge is online)

1. Water comes in i have put a black sponge infront of the aqua one cardrides this goes down to the ceramic rings then some green sponge then bio balls then i have sponge

2. This then go into a massive black sponge

3. Go into a smaller black sponge goes into bio balls and out the pump

Is this ok

IMG_1261.png IMG_1260.png IMG_1224.png IMG_1261.png IMG_1260.png IMG_1250.jpeg IMG_1263.jpeg IMG_1224.png
aW3eL6VW_700w_0.jpg

Well anyway if a shop told me I shouldn't inform myself on the internet under any circumstances I would probably change shop. Regardless of what the shop is. As others have already stated, shops want to sell stuff. That's their priority. So take their information with a grain of salt.

Also, some members here like Randy are scientist or have a hobby related PhD. You probably won't find better advice anywhere else than from them.

tl;dr this is the forum you want to get your information from. Others may have lesser amounts of information.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To followup, I would do your own research and not burn the bridge. If you have a tank emergency and need something ASAP, you want to be able to walk in and still buy what is needed. Or you may end up going back if nothing else closer, or they may change, you never know.

OP
OP
T

theshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to know what he's doing, but it looks like all fresh water videos. While there are some similarities between fresh and salt, there are lots and lots of differences.

BTW, on the website for your tank, they show a skimmer you can fit on it. You may want to check that out.
You mean a protein skimmer?

Any recomendation for my tank?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your LFS doesn't want you to know they're giving you bad info.

Also, I know our sponsors arent like this (and there are some high Quality LFS' out there), but, I've heard more completely incorrect information exchanged at shops than I care to recount. The problem with the hobby is that there's 100 million ways to achieve the same result so people swear by their method and tend to write off others. LFS' tend to prefer you subscribe to their methods for ease of troubleshooting and, to them, it's tried and true. That being said there's some just flat out wrong info above, most obviously the water change with freshwater bit. So, unless you're recalling what they said incorrectly, I'd maybe find another shop.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i went to the fish shop and they said dont lisen to the forum guys as you guys have misinformation

However i wanted both views

Firstly i have a saltwater tank and iv been told never to do a water change with saltwater

So when i take out 10 percent water refill with RO water not saltwater?

Secondly i have a aqua one nano 40 tank 55l

The fish shop guys said leave it as it is - dont look online and dont go on the forums to make changes to it in regards to filtering system

Online i seen they taken out the cartridges and put Like normal sponges in place and then in the other two compartments they have sponges and bio balls and cermaic rings pic attached

Finally i did a transfer from old fish tank to new

I kept the old sponges and put them in the new fish tank and i moved all the live rock which was covered in green slime im assuming cyno cleaned it and put in in the new tank for the bacteria

New fish tank seems clean but the live rocks have gone abit red pics attached?

My filteration is the clearer pic with the green sponge ( the tank with white sponge is online)

1. Water comes in i have put a black sponge infront of the aqua one cardrides this goes down to the ceramic rings then some green sponge then bio balls then i have sponge

2. This then go into a massive black sponge

3. Go into a smaller black sponge goes into bio balls and out the pump

Is this ok

IMG_1261.png IMG_1260.png IMG_1224.png IMG_1261.png IMG_1260.png IMG_1250.jpeg IMG_1263.jpeg IMG_1224.png

lol, right. The lfs does not have any conflict of interest in selling products they recommend.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS are full of crap. I’m probably not even an intermediate reefer and I tend to know more about the stuff they’re selling than they do.
Same. I consider myself low-intermediate at present and I've run into the same issue. What really sucks is listening to an employee give bad advise to a customer. Now, I'll let the conversation play out, but i do not hesitate in making sure said customer knows the real score before they leave. Or if I do not know the answer, I direct them here. SO painful!!!!

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same. I consider myself low-intermediate at present and I've run into the same issue. What really sucks is listening to an employee give bad advise to a customer. Now, I'll let the conversation play out, but i do not hesitate in making sure said customer knows the real score before they leave. Or if I do not know the answer, I direct them here. SO painful!!!!
At this point I avoid fish stores because I get all my fish from Dr Reef and corals from online vendors. Fish stores tend to be antiquated for the most part with horrible selection.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I avoid fish stores because I get all my fish from Dr Reef and corals from online vendors. Fish stores tend to be antiquated for the most part with horrible selection.
Oh, I don't. I love looking at all the pretty things! I will get my fish quarantined, online, but corals I'll most likely get from the LFS if I can. That being said, I came from a time where online purchases were not used that much by comparison. So my habits may change.......I just like the idea of putting my eyes on the actual animal I'm gonna buy.

SmolGoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here just to add another +1, your LFS is the one giving you bad advice & you absolutely want to do water changes with salt water. Top off evaporation with RO water.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discount someone’s advice when they say to not listen to certain people. That’s a red flag to me, and it seems like they need others to depend on them. It sorta makes sense that it happens when shop owners are trying to sell things to new hobbyists though.

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 59 75.6%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 9.0%
Back