How many coral frags can I add at once ?

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most post seems to be dated from 2007-2010 and I would like to updated the search results based on the current trends of 2024.

My 45G lagoon is 6 Months old and the ICP test will be sent tomorrow so in about 1 or 2 week I will get the results and move forward if everything is good. How many corals frags can I add ? I was planning on buying 5-7 frags at once.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is ready, 5-7 shouldn't be an issue. You are just risking 5-7 if the tank isn't stable. Adding a large number of frags that grow quickly can drain levels if the takeoff.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is ready, 5-7 shouldn't be an issue. You are just risking 5-7 if the tank isn't stable. Adding a large number of frags that grow quickly can drain levels if the takeoff.
What do you think about this list. None a really fast growing corals
List.PNG

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest one or two of the gorgonians. I have issues not being able to keep certain corals for unknown reasons when most everythings else thrives so I like testers. I have had two gorgs for months and while alive they are not thriving. I can't keep a goni alive wild or captive raised . I also haven't been able to keep euphylia or zoas alive. I guess this is my long winded way of saying no more than 1 or 2 of a single species to see how they do is my recommendation based solely on my experiences.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that list, I would plan to feed reef roids or similar

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest one or two of the gorgonians. I have issues not being able to keep certain corals for unknown reasons when most everythings else thrives so I like testers. I have had two gorgs for months and while alive they are not thriving. I can't keep a goni alive wild or captive bred. I also haven't been keep euphylia or zoas alive. I guess this is my long winded way of saying no more than 1 or 2 of a single species to see how they do is my recommendation based solely on my experiences.
Well Gorgonians are my favourite corals and they seems to be the only coral to thrive in my tank...

-Dragon's breath Macro:
Growing and no issue.

-Acan:
Was slowly receding until my pep. shrimp ate it.

-Kenya tree:
Good growth and no issue.

-Hammer:
Died upon adding it to my tank. I haven't tried it again but I plan on adding one to my next reef instead of this one.

-Gonipora:
Won't open for some reason no matter the par or flow.

-Alveopora:
One day it's okay, the other it's not.

-Zoa:
They seems to be doing good.

-Gorgonian:
good growth and no issues with the polyp extension.
This is the before and after 3 months. I have two frags of these
20240121_120206.jpg
20240511_162549.jpg
20240511_162601.jpg
20240422_163104.jpg
20240511_162609.jpg

Purple Candelabra and the Purple Slit Pore if I'm right on the IDs.

With that list, I would plan to feed reef roids or similar
I have Reef Roid on hand but I currently dose 0.2ml of Fauna Marin Organic (Organic Trace) and Min S (Coral Food)

Mermaid Macro, don't think I'll have an issue with it.
Duster, is not a coral so no issue here.
The green goni would be a test to see if the issue is the frag or the tank.
Cespitularia, looks like a pulsing xenia but less invasive and it's not too demanding on the parameters.
All the gorgonians should be fine based on my system. Well I guess..?
Candy Apple Red Zoa should be fine.
The only coral which might be a TRUE test to my current parameters is the pavona SPS. Which is not expensive if I don't succeed.

But still I would like inputs.

I'm planning on buy this batch when my ICP results are in Monday and if all is fine.
These corals frags are not available near me and this shipping is 40$ fixed per order hence the multiple frags.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad. The post title made me think this may have been your first tank.
You are not wrong. This is my first tank, it's 7 month old.
1000008036.jpg

Going for the this look.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing your parameters? Those gorgonians make mine look pathetic. Mine have almost no polyp extension. I may need to try them in a different tank.
Sure !
Temp 77.5-78⁰F
Salinity 35ppt
Phosphate 0 - 0.03
Nitrate 12.9ppm
Alk 7.7
Cal 380
Mg 1400
pH 8

My temps is rock solid, the lowest I let my salinity drop ia 34.5.

Phosphate I have an hard time keeping them above 0 but I mostly aim at 0.05 but they stay around 0.03 mostly.

Nitrate I try to keep them between 5-10ppm but I average at 10ppm mostly.

Alk I try to keep it at 7.5 minimum but It's mostly 7.7dKh

Calcium is mostly 370 but I'm in the process of raising them to 425.

Mg is solid a 1350 but I would like them at 1400 ppm.

I was using AF sea salt but I'm in the process of switching to AF Reef Salt.

This will give me a higher calcium and magnesium I want.

I occasionally spot feed the polyps reef roid or mysis shrimp chunks. I think it's the reason they grew more.

Par is around 150-200 if I remember right and they are in a strong pulsing flow.

This seems to be working for me currently.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I may move mine to a different tank. The one they are in runs phosphates at 0.2 - 0.3 everything else looks good so I don't want to change things up. I have 2 other tanks that have parameters closer to yours so I think I'll try them in one of those. Your off to a very nice start. Good job

EDIT : my alk is higher as well in the current tank

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most post seems to be dated from 2007-2010 and I would like to updated the search results based on the current trends of 2024.

My 45G lagoon is 6 Months old and the ICP test will be sent tomorrow so in about 1 or 2 week I will get the results and move forward if everything is good. How many corals frags can I add ? I was planning on buying 5-7 frags at once.
Your system may be able to handle it, but you are introducing multiple variables at once. When I trouble shoot things (anything), I try to eliminate variables one at a time.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm confused you mentioned not being able to keep a variety of different corals alive yet you want to add a bunch of new frags? Perhaps you should try and establish a proper biome environment first so you don't waste money on coral that never thrive. 7 month tank is still very much developing and unstable in multiple areas. Some you can test some you can not. Have you par checked your lights?

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I may move mine to a different tank. The one they are in runs phosphates at 0.2 - 0.3 everything else looks good so I don't want to change things up. I have 2 other tanks that have parameters closer to yours so I think I'll try them in one of those. Your off to a very nice start. Good job

EDIT : my alk is higher as well in the current tank
I hope it works !
Your system may be able to handle it, but you are introducing multiple variables at once. When I trouble shoot things (anything), I try to eliminate variables one at a time.
This variables would be pest or parameters being consumed ?
So I'm confused you mentioned not being able to keep a variety of different corals alive yet you want to add a bunch of new frags? Perhaps you should try and establish a proper biome environment first so you don't waste money on coral that never thrive. 7 month tank is still very much developing and unstable in multiple areas. Some you can test some you can not. Have you par checked your lights?
My Acan was receding because of light or my Midas nipping on it.
Hammer looked healthy but it had brown jelly a day later I suspect the frag was not healthy.
Alveo and goni are considered hard to keep but I'm trying with cheaper frags.
The rest is fine.

An article from reef building suggest "cycling" the tank with a bunch of corals whom introduce multiple micro Biome to the tank.

7 Months is indeed young. I have check the par of my light sand bed is 80-150, mid 150, top 200 ish depending on location.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The simple answer is to add as many as you're prepared to lose if things go wrong.

I've never added more than 2 similar corals at once.\

Most times I add one and wait a few weeks before adding another.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back