how much sand would you use if you had to do it again?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate sand I run a bare bottom in my mixed reef tank at home I have a piece of beige acrylic on the bottom.... looks beautiful. The reef tank that I take care of in my classroom at school was set up with sand because other people wanted it and it's been covered in Dino's for a year and a half now ughhhh
IMG_20240609_205357.jpg

IMG_20240613_223913.jpg

Do you have conches? If not add two fighting conch

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks did they tell you why? Does detritus get under the board? Appreciate the input.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took close up my sand…at least 10 years old…never been vacuumed. And I don’t do water changes and don’t run mech filtration or a skimmer.
Nassarius snails help but the game changer for me was adding a fighting conch. You might need 2 but no more than 2
52778ABB-084E-4D86-9A08-7DAC3F145F99.jpeg

Extremeengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2” to 1” Carib Sea live sand. It’s always clean and white. Because I vacuum it monthly when I water change. Hobbyists have reasons why they have a bare bottom tank. Okay, But good reasons?

This. I put 4 bags of Carib Sea Live in a 75, so 1 1/4”, to allow plenty for any minimal losses vacuuming each month.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none. I don’t want the temptation of getting another pistol shrimp and goby pair. They are awesome, don’t get me wrong, by my god the sand bed is different every day, it drives me nuts.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took close up my sand…at least 10 years old…never been vacuumed. And I don’t do water changes and don’t run mech filtration or a skimmer.
Nassarius snails help but the game changer for me was adding a fighting conch. You might need 2 but no more than 2
52778ABB-084E-4D86-9A08-7DAC3F145F99.jpeg
+1 on the conch. Mine is a work horse. I never do sand bed maintenance, just let the nassarius, conch, and shrimp/goby pair turn it over.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a big sand guy since I entered the hobby, that is up until a few months ago when I setup my most recent tank. I went bare bottom this time around just to give it a shot and I'll have a hard time going back. Its so nice to be able to suck up the detritus spots once in a while. I feel like my tank is overall much cleaner and healthier and I haven't missed sand once.

Now saying that, I do have sand in my refugium and believe its an important part of the "filter" of the tank. I can also see where keeping certain fish/shrimp would warrant having sand and I would still use it in that case, my approach would just be different. Many species of fish/shrimp that require sand need a deeper bed. So lets say theoretically 1-1/2" deep sand bed. I would make sure that I have one heck of a cleanup crew for just the sand. As it has already been said, fighting conch's are a must. They are super hero's for the sand bed. I'd also add quite a few sand sifting star fish along with the standard snail assortment.

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 60 cube I just set up, where I placed the rock work directly on the glass, I *maybe* used 45 lbs of sand, and it's given me a >2 inch bed in most areas of the tank. I used one 20 lb bag of Ocean Direct, one bag of Arag-Alive! Special Grade, and then a couple pounds from a second bag of Arag-Alive! As I add livestock, I imagine it will even out some, but I definitely didn't use 1 lb/gallon, which is what all the online calculators were saying I'd need for 2 inches of sand.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand I use I have bought 3x and used on 3 reefs and it’s the whitest sand I’ve ever used, perfect size and settled nicely and the company is out of business :(

It was called something like crystal reef sand

5FF01468-517A-48C2-8825-AFB016C8E59A.png

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am getting ready to put an order in with TBS. I am trying to figure out how much I want to use. I normally do about 1-1.5 inches.

What depth would you go with? Next - I don't don't TBS at all, but any calculator I see online is not 1 pound per gallon. I have 100 pounds of special grade brand new in bags I never used. I could mix that in with the TBS, but I would guess I would lose the high flow benefit of the TBS rock. My display will be 96x36, peninsula and 3/4 of the tank will be SPS dominate with high flow. BTW 0.6 inches of sand in my size tank equals 100 pounds. But the more I think about this, the TBS sand must be so dense, which causes it not to move much, which is why you need more for the same when compared to others. I guess I could get 270 - 300 pounds, but put special grade down on the glass and TBS on top. Anyway, curious if anyone can help with your experience and or ideas. Thanks!
My tank is 72 long by 24 W. I bought 40 lb of TBS sand and mixed it with 100 lb of arag alive sand. That mix has worked pretty well for me.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new build will be bare bottom
Has anyone used starboard as a bottom?
there is no issue using starboard, I BELIEVE they still have the first versions underwater in testing facilities with no chemical breakdown.

it's just expensive and heavy.

you can get abs cut to exact measurements much thinner and cheaper and more availability.

all my tanks are abs bottoms and the coraline covers it so fast it doesn't matter if it's a few pieces or what color it is, everything turns purple in the end and looks like hard bottom.

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no sand but I never tried the Fighting Conch when I had sand. I rebooted with a bare bottom with dry rock starting in March 2023. It is just now maturing. Sand may have helped speed things along. There was an extended ugly phase. I used the aqua forest mud and a dose of rubble from Aquabiomics. Still had Dinos and turf algae. Looking good now but I’m still trying to get nitrates down with carbon dosing. Now getting white filament bacteria on the glass and in the pumps. I assume from the carbon dosing. Seems like there is always a new cycle of some sort going on with this tank.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks did they tell you why? Does detritus get under the board? Appreciate the input.
I tape a line around the tank glass down low and use aquarium silicone under and all around the edge of the abs. put some weight on it for a few days and the abs will be secured to the glass enough and the detritus will be minimal if any.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I tape a line around the tank glass down low and use aquarium silicone under and all around the edge of the abs. put some weight on it for a few days and the abs will be secured to the glass enough and the detritus will be minimal if any.

I assume you put sand on top of that or just leave it like that? Have any pics?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you put sand on top of that or just leave it like that? Have any pics?
lol no sand!!!!

no when I say I tape a line around the glass down low, it's just above the abs sheet on the bottom basically sealing in the abs edges with silicone so nothing gets underneath the abs.

I also put a bunch under the abs so it can bond as good as it can to the glass. (abs will bond to glass with silicone but not as good as glass to glass)

this makes the abs some what permanent but that's ok if that's the plan

I don't have any exact pictures of the process but if you go through my 2 build threads in the beginnings you can see the install of the black abs.

heres a picture in my 48g fijicube

Post in thread '20gallon long tranformed into a 48gallon cube! Soon two cubes = 120g' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2...cube-soon-two-cubes-120g.845454/post-10850510

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • My coral

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back