How to teach tomini tang to be less afraid of me and eat.

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.5 weeks ago I bought my first fish in the tank- 2 ocelaris clowns and a ctenochet.
The situation is as follows: I see fish mostly in the evening after work, 2 types of flakes thrown several times a day (now already 2 times). If the clowns eat in front of my eyes at least somehow, then ctenochaetus is still scared if I come to the aquarium and hides in his cave at the back of the skape. I still have not seen that he ate, but he seems and can not say that something is wrong with him or starving (I thought I heard that if the fish don't eat, you can even see the ribs), rarely you can even close to sit carefully and watch, because he dares when it starts to get dark. Several times threw even uncooked shrimp. Even when the food falls in front of his face, I personally still have not seen him eating
He's constantly active, but he's still timid.

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend the time in front of the tank every evening and just admire the tank. Don't move too much to spook them. In time, the tang will see you're not a threat and will associate you with the food as you continue to be a presence when you feed.

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend some time in front of the tank every evening, just admiring it. Don't move too much to scare them. In time, the tang will see that you're not a threat and will associate you with the food as you continue to be a presence when you feed.
that's exactly what I'm trying to do!)

BubbleBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, recommend feeding the tang the same food they previously ate at the fish store/ vendor to get them eating. Mysis shrimp and nori are more likely to the entice the tang to eat. Getting over the fear will just take time and repeated exposure.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini tangs are notoriously shy. I've had mine for a year and he still darts when I come to the tank. Like others said put a sheet of nori in and leave so at least he will eat and not starve. While he is still learning you are the food source feed a little heavier than normal. When u get home from work feed like 3 times and just give smaller amounts. He will eventually come out when u feed but if you want a fish that will be out when people come over and are showing off the tank this ain't the guy. My orange shoulder tang literally is smashing into glass every time I walk in room and the tomini still darts. They are by far the best algae grazer if any tang tho. My hippo tang bites the rock once a day. The tomini tang is constantly grazing on rocks and glass.

Extremeengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomini started eating on day 1, live brine shrimp. Now eats live and frozen brine, emerald entree, mysis, and Marine One mini pellets. He comes out with the Coral Beauty and Lyretail Anthias to eat. He does dart before anyone else for reasons only he knows, but is getting better after only a couple of weeks. That's with me right in front of the tank. Mine is a little guy, maybe 2" max, probably 1 1/2". Mine has darkened up considerably over the 2-3 weeks I have had him, which I understand to be a good thing. So I vote for get it some peaceful friends too.

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 41 38.3%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 36 33.6%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back