I’m looking to add a sump

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add a sump and I don’t really know how to organize it. I have a heater, an HOB skimmer, a fluval 407, and an ATO. What should I add? How should I organize it? Is there anything else I should know? TIA

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, a sump is (let's say), a 20 long. Divide that up into 3 partitioned sections. The input comes off your tank, let's say on the left and the water goes through socks. Then it moves to the middle section where a skimmer could be. Then it moves further right where the return feeds the water back into the tank. If you want to keep your HOB skimmer, you could use the middle section as a fuge. If you're not going to drill your tank, then you'll need an overflow. And there are different ways to plumb that. Both for safety (FLOOD!) and to make it quiet.

This is an oversimplified synopsis. There are many things you can do with a sump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, a sump is (let's say), a 20 long. Divide that up into 3 partitioned sections. The input comes off your tank, let's say on the left and the water goes through socks. Then it moves to the middle section where a skimmer could be. Then it moves further right where the return feeds the water back into the tank. If you want to keep your HOB skimmer, you could use the middle section as a fuge. If you're not going to drill your tank, then you'll need an overflow. And there are different ways to plumb that. Both for safety (FLOOD!) and to make it quiet.

This is an oversimplified synopsis. There are many things you can do with a sump.
This is very helpful! Thank you!

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at your tank. Is that a 75? 48x18x21?

OK. 55G. Sorry! You're gonna have to get that bad boy under your stand somehow. A 20 L should suffice IF you can get it under. Then you have to plumb it. With a lot of good measuring, you could pre-plumb the DT, get the sump under there and just hook it up. It'll be a pain. Something you also have to consider. All tanks have a life expectancy. With my next build I'm gonna make sure I can unhook everything easily and slide it out the side door.of the stand. I NEVER want to breakdown my DT again due to a leak. My leak was in the DT itself, but if you can't get the sump outta there, it's the same difference.

If you can't do the 20 long (30x12x12) then perhaps a 20G high (24x12x16). Also, you need to measure WHAT you're gonna put in your sump and make sure it'll fit. Especially skimmers. In addition, if you lose siphon with you need to make sure the return isn't gonna flood your DT with the return still going. Alternatively, if you lose your return pump, you need to make sure that your sump won't flood out. Lots of things to think about.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at your tank. Is that a 75? 48x18x21?

OK. 55G. Sorry! You're gonna have to get that bad boy under your stand somehow. A 20 L should suffice IF you can get it under. Then you have to plumb it. With a lot of good measuring, you could pre-plumb the DT, get the sump under there and just hook it up. It'll be a pain. Something you also have to consider. All tanks have a life expectancy. With my next build I'm gonna make sure I can unhook everything easily and slide it out the side door.of the stand. I NEVER want to breakdown my DT again due to a leak. My leak was in the DT itself, but if you can't get the sump outta there, it's the same difference.

If you can't do the 20 long (30x12x12) then perhaps a 20G high (24x12x16). Also, you need to measure WHAT you're gonna put in your sump and make sure it'll fit. Especially skimmers. In addition, if you lose siphon with you need to make sure the return isn't gonna flood your DT with the return still going. Alternatively, if you lose your return pump, you need to make sure that your sump won't flood out. Lots of things to think about.....
I’m gonna build a new stand but thanks for the info

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.4%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 98 43.8%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back