I bought “cooked frozen food” for DIY fish food.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say they need uncooked? In the animal models I know have been tested for this, there is both a gain in mass and energy from the consumption of cooked vs raw food.
Don’t think they get enough of the right proteins. Their food isn’t cooked in the sea they eat.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say they need uncooked? In the animal models I know have been tested for this, there is both a gain in mass and energy from the consumption of cooked vs raw food.

Animals need raw food. Except of maybe monkeys and dogs, raw food is essential for long term survival.

At least my fish and corals didn't even accept cooked shrimp eggs.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Animals need raw food. Except of maybe monkeys and dogs, raw food is essential for long term survival.

At least my fish and corals didn't even accept cooked shrimp eggs.

Do you have anything more recent? Apparently according to the World Small Animal Veterinary Association there is no data supporting raw diets are better for cats. I can ask a professor I know who studies this very topic if she has heard of pottinger's cats.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anything more recent? Apparently according to the World Small Animal Veterinary Association there is no data supporting raw diets are better for cats. I can ask a professor I know who studies this very topic if she has heard of pottinger's cats.
Sadly that's the only source that stuck with me from food science. But this seems to be common knowledge at least in the cat food industry. Taurine is essential for cats but heat sensitive. Therefore nowadays it is supplemented after the cooking process.

I have also read that a lot of animals prefer cooked food. But that doesn't mean it is healthy for them. Similar with humans and junk food.

Regardless, at least my fish don't accept cooked shrimp eggs but will happily eat raw ones.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't feed cooked, especially since you mentioned clams/mussels and it's easy enough to get those live at any supermarket with a decent seafood counter.

On the other hand, I've used roasted nori plenty of times even though I know raw is better and everyone liked it.
*not quite the same as the main discussion, but still

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay, thanks! Do you know why they can’t have cooked?
I saw something about this, I think cooking destroys some vitamin or something they need, but take that fwiw
? Apparently according to the World Small Animal Veterinary Association there is no data supporting raw diets are better for cats.
We had a jungle cat and all it was supposed to eat was cooked turkey or chicken, so yeah that’s what I was told also

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back