I don’t get yellow tangs…

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I keep marine aquarium, I always love the Yellow tang and think that it is a must have fish in a largish tank. There is no other fish that has brighter yellow. In addition to this, it is a very good utility fish.

I keep fish in the tank because for utility or look, why not both with Yellow tang

I challenge you or anybody to show me picture of a fairly large fish, graceful and brighter yellow than a Yellow tang.
IMG_1527.jpeg

IMG_1526.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I keep marine aquarium, I always love the Yellow tang and think that it is a must have fish in a largish tank. There is no other fish that has brighter yellow. In addition to this, it is a very good utility fish.

I keep fish in the tank because for utility or look, why not both with Yellow tang

I challenge you or anybody to show me picture of a fairly large fish, graceful and brighter yellow than a Yellow tang.
IMG_1527.jpeg

IMG_1526.jpeg
What about this fella - Forcipiger longirostris and Forcipiger flavidsimus. So much better than a yellow tang IMHO!
IMG_1327.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! And if you want a tang with the yellow but cheap price, look no further than these guys (not my photos);
Yellow Scopas Tangs
IMG_1334.jpeg

And if we don’t mind the aggression then full grown Clown Tangs are more stunning than a yellow any day of the week.
IMG_1333.jpeg

So… should I keep going with fish nicer than yellow tangs or not?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1527.jpeg

IMG_1526.jpeg
Didn’t pull out the good camera for this but..
IMG_1015.jpeg
IMG_1014.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t pull out the good camera for this but..
IMG_1015.jpeg
IMG_1014.jpeg
That’s better than my guy :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Oh, also can’t forget my dream species of rabbitfish (again not my photos);
Siganus doliatus
IMG_1336.jpeg

Siganus corallinus
IMG_1335.jpeg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Before the ban, dollar sized yellows were $29 a pop or cheaper, large anywhere from 39-79. At current prices I look the other way.

While somebody may find it ok to pay $250 for a tiny scared fry, I dont see it happening when you need a school.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Oh! And if you want a tang with the yellow but cheap price, look no further than these guys (not my photos);
Yellow Scopas Tangs

And if we don’t mind the aggression then full grown Clown Tangs are more stunning than a yellow any day of the week.
IMG_1333.jpeg

So… should I keep going with fish nicer than yellow tangs or not?

Stunning fish indeed, just like the Sohal but probably the last fish you'll ever add to the tank.

Both the clown and sohal are absolutely aggressive - had both and knew there is nothing that goes in after.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this fella - Forcipiger longirostris and Forcipiger flavidsimus. So much better than a yellow tang IMHO!
IMG_1327.jpeg

Mine ate a bunch of corals.

If angels and butterflies were more reef safe we would see so many more of them!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate a bunch of corals.

If angels and butterflies were more reef safe we would see so many more of them!
Yeah, I’ve always been fish over corals with this tank and my nano is more coral over fish with some exceptions.

Definitely agree, it’s why Genicanthus is an amazing genus! Oh yeah, what about Semifasciatus and Melanospilos for yellow colouring?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant regret posting this. But since I can’t take it down. What would people pay for a yellow tang out of curiosity?

Personally there are a lot of yellow fish I see that are a tiny margin of the price. And similar tangs. So why pay hundreds or even thousands?? That’s my confusion I guess.
Number One Good Job GIF by Jason Clarke

Pretty, and they don't talk back.

Season 2 Winner GIF by Pose FX

And you never have to take them out to dinner to and expensive place, you can just feed them dried pellets and they stay happy and look stunning, even help clean the tank.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish that has played the extra in tanks as colorful background, has taken center stage because everyone has been told they're rare and you can't have one.

It's the yellow tangs moment to shine. It won't be long before they fade back into the crowd.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think
Forcipiger longirostris and Forcipiger flavidsimus: Not as bright yellow, different utility, but I like Copperband Butterfly better, especially pair of CBB

Foxfaces-I keep Foxfaces too, I like them but not as graceful fish, not anywhere near the Yellow tang in term of grace and color. They do get larger than Yellow tang. Foxface is a different fish and IMO, cannot replace Yellow Tang

Rabbitfish are beautiful fishes, but get too large for a 100ish gal tank. While the color and pattern are interesting, yellow is not anywhere near as bright. In a very large tank 240+ Rabbitfish is a great option, addition to Yellow Tang

Yellow Scopa tangs are wantabe Yellow tang. You cannot seriously consider a yellow Scopa tang to have anywhere near the yellow color of a Yellow tang

Clown Tang is a beautiful fish for sure, but the agressivenss and the larger size keep me away from them. I never seriously consider Clown tang for any of my tank. It is not really a Yellow fish either.

I don't just want to keep all Yellow tangs in my tank. Many of the fish you mention has a lot of merit in a reef tank, but with tanks that are larger, Yellow tang can add characteristics that cannot be replace by any of the the above. They can complement but not replace one of my favorite fish.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1527.jpeg

IMG_1526.jpeg

On top of this, how many times have we been told a fish, coral, dog, or person was a certain color and when we get them home they don't match the description? Has anyone ever seen a yellow tang advertised as an Orange Tang, or even something like a "White spined tang?"

They are the real deal, OG YELLOW fish that are actually yellow, even when bred in captivity, no matter the lighting.

They used to be inexpensive but gasoline was only $0.35/gallon in California back then also.
:cool:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really don't like most tangs to begin with. They can be great for helping algae. But, bubble algae has a few select consumers.

I don't enjoy 1 color fish. It's flat to me. A yellow or solid black blob floating in the reef.
I like fish that mix things up.
20230622_092638.jpg
20240616_144230.jpg
20240616_144109.jpg

Thankfully we can pick the fish we like, sometimes. Other times, they don't like us... so uhh..

Those that love their solid black or yellow blobs, enjoy!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then some of his anthias are supposedly giant at 6-7 inches.

My Biota Pink Squares are pushing 5" and I expect them to end up at around 7". Some anthias are sizeable. I was actually buying more when Biota reached out to me via email reminding of the size. I have to say I was very thankful for that message as I thought they stayed on the smaller side.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • My coral

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back