I don’t get yellow tangs…

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! And if you want a tang with the yellow but cheap price, look no further than these guys (not my photos);
Yellow Scopas Tangs
IMG_1334.jpeg

And if we don’t mind the aggression then full grown Clown Tangs are more stunning than a yellow any day of the week.
IMG_1333.jpeg

So… should I keep going with fish nicer than yellow tangs or not?

You should go with what brings a smile to your face. I have 11 lyretail damsels that do every day. Not the color but rather the life they bring to my reef. Specific fish that does it for me is my milletseed butterfly. Always reminds me of diving in Hawaii.

Rock Beauty is another one but I've not sourced one yet. On my to-do list and wish list.

Hope your day is well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should go with what brings a smile to your face. I have 11 lyretail damsels that do every day. Not the color but rather the life they bring to my reef. Specific fish that does it for me is my milletseed butterfly. Always reminds me of diving in Hawaii.

Rock Beauty is another one but I've not sourced one yet. On my to-do list and wish list.

Hope your day is well.
I absolutely do, it’s why my tank is wrasse dedicated!

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the best yellow fish has been mentioned?
IMG_3624.jpeg
Not reef safe. I would have had it a long time ago.

I think yellow tangs are great fish. They are very bright and have a nice body shape.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the best yellow fish has been mentioned?
IMG_3624.jpeg

If they were reef safe I would have one. My lfs has a biota misbar that has been there for a year. Nice and fat eating like a pig.
I do like my yellow tangs tho. I love the yellow in the tank and next to my convict tang they are the best grazers I've had. I've had rabbit fish and fox faces but none of them spent the time grazing rocks like my yellow tangs do.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On top of this, how many times have we been told a fish, coral, dog, or person was a certain color and when we get them home they don't match the description? Has anyone ever seen a yellow tang advertised as an Orange Tang, or even something like a "White spined tang?"

They are the real deal, OG YELLOW fish that are actually yellow, even when bred in captivity, no matter the lighting.

They used to be inexpensive but gasoline was only $0.35/gallon in California back then also.
:cool:
Hmm. That means it must have been a dime in Florida.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh! And if you want a tang with the yellow but cheap price, look no further than these guys (not my photos);
Yellow Scopas Tangs
IMG_1334.jpeg

And if we don’t mind the aggression then full grown Clown Tangs are more stunning than a yellow any day of the week.
IMG_1333.jpeg

So… should I keep going with fish nicer than yellow tangs or not?
Keeping the homicidal clown tang for over 2 years. i think 3? I honestly find this fish is easily food greedy and will destroy anyone that gets in their way for a patch of algae.

Clown tangs look awesome in all reef lighting. Just like regal angelfish.

@fishguy242 has seen!

As for yellow, I'll keep my halichoeres chrysus.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not reef safe. I would have had it a long time ago.

I think yellow tangs are great fish. They are very bright and have a nice body shape.
Depends what you're keeping. Mine was pretty safe unless there was acans and trachyphyllia involved. Tangs can become coral munchers as well. Not as frequent.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you're keeping. Mine was pretty safe unless there was acans and trachyphyllia involved. Tangs can become coral munchers as well. Not as frequent.
I’m just saying that yellow tangs are generally known to be safer in reef tanks. The name of this thread was not understanding the hype about yellow tangs. They are great fish for tanks that are large enough to house them. :)

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recall the details of this change. Weren’t they called Coris wrasse before? I seem to recall seeing that name on LA years ago.
I think someone prominent in the hobby saw a juvenile red coris wrasse and decided to call the somewhat similar looking Halichoeres chrysus a yellow coris wrasse and the name just stuck. They are obviously Halichoeres wrasse and the two genera of wrasse aren’t closely related.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless how much you like yellow tangs, the price now is just ridiculous. Why not wait until Hawaii opens again? Price will drop to $20 again….,

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless how much you like yellow tangs, the price now is just ridiculous. Why not wait until Hawaii opens again? Price will drop to $20 again….,
But who knows for sure how long that will even be? And I doubt they'll ever be that cheap again. I can't Imagine they'll be any cheaper than biotas are now. The bar has been set. JMO

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were $60ish before it closed. I can't see it going back to $20, it wasn't even $20 when it was open in 2020 :)

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I keep marine aquarium, I always love the Yellow tang and think that it is a must have fish in a largish tank. There is no other fish that has brighter yellow. In addition to this, it is a very good utility fish.

I keep fish in the tank because for utility or look, why not both with Yellow tang

I challenge you or anybody to show me picture of a fairly large fish, graceful and brighter yellow than a Yellow tang.

I agree with that exactly. Yellow tang looked great, acted great and was useful. Really made a visual impression from across the room.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • My coral

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back