I don’t get yellow tangs…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my dates mixed up, whenever it closed, 2020?
Yeah, closed in March 2020.

I was going to say if it opened in 21 I would’ve been grabbing a chrysocephalus very quickly :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them cause they add a good pop of a bright yellow! And my boyfriend fell in love with them so I got one.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if ppl’s desire of yellow tang would change if only one can be kept instead of a few to school in a large tank.

Last edited:

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't resist sharing an "old geezer" memory. I'm 67 and my first job as a high school senior was at a tropical fish store in southern California. We got our marine stock from a wholesaler called Salt & Sea Enterprises. I would pour over the pricelist and imagine dream aquarium setups. Yellow Tangs, $3.00, $4.00 and $5.00 for small, medium and large, respectively wholesale. We marked up fish 200%, so they would retail for $8.99. $11.99 and $14.99, although we generally bought small, which were about 3 inches plus in diameter. How times have changed.

JohnCol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs are a species of tang that have several members. Back in the day. You could buy a yellow tang around 4" for $50. Now days the captive bred are dropping in price. I have seen them as low as $150. The black tang and even hybrids there off sell for thousands. They look just like yellows but black. The purple tang looks just like a yellow but are several hundred dollars.

It's like this in every fish species. Look at damsels. Most are $20 some even down into the teens or less. But than you have the starki. Wow the color wow the price.

You have clowns. You can get a orange perc for under $20. Long fin perc sell for hundreds.

Beauty in the aquarium trade demands money. Than you have the trade itself. That is affected by trade bans, by civil wars. The red sea that is the biggest factor of price and availability. Even by demand.

Back before they banned the collection of Australian Dendros. The demand sky rocketed and the prices did too. After the ban and a few years of people growing then out. You can find dendro frags for $40 back than we would pay that per polyp and had found a deal.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if ppl’s desire of yellow tang would change if only one can be kept instead of a few schooling in a large tank.
I wouldnt, I only have one and I like it that way! He likes it too. Not a fan of other zebrasomas lol

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't resist sharing an "old geezer" memory. I'm 67 and my first job as a high school senior was at a tropical fish store in southern California. We got our marine stock from a wholesaler called Salt & Sea Enterprises. I would pour over the pricelist and imagine dream aquarium setups. Yellow Tangs, $3.00, $4.00 and $5.00 for small, medium and large, respectively wholesale. We marked up fish 200%, so they would retail for $8.99. $11.99 and $14.99, although we generally bought small, which were about 3 inches plus in diameter. How times have changed.

Yes, they have. Times change that is. What was the price of a candy bar, can of soda, or a Big Mac back then?

Hobbyist can reminisce all they want but at the end of the day none of us know what effort goes into bringing captive bred or raised marine animals to market. By market I mean trial and error all the way to reliable shipping. That, to me, seems like a herculean task. Not sure when this hobbyist became so selfish.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice and fat yellow tang will bring so much vibrance to a display. Hard to get yellow like that
That’s a reason I don’t like them. They often seem to me to have a pale or slightly transparent seeming yellow unlike the deep yellow other fish have like a Foxface.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a reason I don’t like them. They often seem to me to have a pale or slightly transparent seeming yellow unlike the deep yellow other fish have like a Foxface.
I don’t know about that but the CB yellow tangs that I seen in a good reef tank is very bit as nice as a wild caught yellow tang.
Seeing them growing up in our own tang is a great bonus.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about that but the CB yellow tangs that I seen in a good reef tank is very bit as nice as a wild caught yellow tang.
Seeing them growing up in our own tang is a great bonus.
Idk. Maybe the ones I see aren’t healthy. Maybe it’s that white stripe but I would say my Foxface’s yellow is immaculate and I don’t remember seeing a tang that immaculate. Now saying that I do prefer my other fox, my magnificent just because I find complex patterns far more appealing.
IMG_2068.jpeg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk. Maybe the ones I see aren’t healthy. Maybe it’s that white stripe but I would say my Foxface’s yellow is immaculate and I don’t remember seeing a tang that immaculate. Now saying that I do prefer my other fox, my magnificent just because I find complex patterns far more appealing.
IMG_2068.jpeg
This is my mental image of a yellow. Like yellow but not a full solid yellow like the ones you posted @OrionN
IMG_1025.png

Back