I don’t get yellow tangs…

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk. Maybe the ones I see aren’t healthy. Maybe it’s that white stripe but I would say my Foxface’s yellow is immaculate and I don’t remember seeing a tang that immaculate. Now saying that I do prefer my other fox, my magnificent just because I find complex patterns far more appealing.
IMG_2068.jpeg
But it's just the fins.. what if someone wants a yellow fish?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It only takes them 2-3 months to fully color up. We been holding our since we got them quarter sized back in Jan. Now they are about 2" to 2.5" and quite colored. They will do better and color up faster in normal reef tank than our qt tanks where living/feeding is not as good as a personal tank will be.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's just the fins.. what if someone wants a yellow fish?
I’m talking about my other Foxface. The common. I don’t have a good photo of it but here are some snaps I took on my phone: IMG_1015.jpeg
IMG_1014.jpeg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only takes them 2-3 months to fully color up. We been holding our since we got them quarter sized back in Jan. Now they are about 2" to 2.5" and quite colored. They will do better and color up faster in normal reef tank than out qt tanks where living/feeding is not as good as a personal tank will be.
Unfortunately those videos are hard to watch on here. I know you guys have a great YouTube channel. If you have some on there and copy the link it will work.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stripe is there at night or when yellow tang is stressed. It is normal.
yes they are stress marks. and fish can turn them on and off according to its condition. Some people call us and say its ich or disease but its not. its just pigments that go white in stress.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @Dr. Reef im looking at your store photos. The yellow is definitely a beautiful deep yellow but… I would say your common Foxface is a more solid deep yellow?

Serg1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a yellow just before the ban and after I had a Scopas already , love the Scopas . The yellow was probably the first fish I fell in love with entering the hobby. With that said they clean my tank so well , they are work horses. Someone told me I can get 200 for the yellow but I will not part with him. I feel no matter the fish we all keep as aquarist we should feel a small amount of guilt , of course they should all be in the wild .

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That yellow you posted was true Hawaii wild tangs we got from a breeder that was breeding them and had too many and got rid of about 30 or 40 of them. I purchased them all and sold them. They were 5-6" big.
Currently we only sell Biota Yellow tangs that are normally 1.5" and we hold them 3 months to get them about 2-2.5" big and color up lot more before selling. They are not as solid yellow but more a pale yellow for a while. After 3 months or so they gain pretty dark yellow.

Last edited:

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately those videos are hard to watch on here. I know you guys have a great YouTube channel. If you have some on there and copy the link it will work.

You can see in both videos the darker ones from the pale ones. Its just in due time they also will darken up

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main reason for getting back in the hobby is for my yellows. These are all Biota (came transparent due to being extremely young juveniles which we never saw in LfS back in the day).

IMG_5818.jpeg

Here’s my attempt at a closeup with my poor photography iPhone skills.

IMG_5823.jpeg

Last edited:

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a pretty simple statement, but if you need it explained: choosing socks based on color isn't the best reason to choose socks, since (and this part is implicit, based on the fact that I assume people tend to know about socks) whether they're wool or cotton or synthetic, and whether they're thin or cushioned, and whether they're made in sweatshops tends to matter more. As long as the color doesn't clash with whatever else you're wearing (and sometimes even if it does a little), there's more important considerations than color when one picks out their socks for the day.

That was contrasted with the choice of which fish to put in one's tank, which as a living thing (which we have more responsibility toward than we do regarding inanimate objects like socks) should have even more consideration of factors other than their color.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a pretty simple statement, but if you need it explained: choosing socks based on color isn't the best reason…

That was contrasted with the choice of which fish to put in one's tank
Actually they were not contrasted against one another, they were made analogous….

But I digress, I choose my socks by color, sometimes taste and always smell. Fish pretty much the same.

Have a nice evening.

Last edited:

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a reason I don’t like them. They often seem to me to have a pale or slightly transparent seeming yellow unlike the deep yellow other fish have like a Foxface.
The small ones from less reputable vendors are certainly transparent (talking about you Petco). If I had the capital and the tank space I’d buy every yellow tang my local Petco gets. They get 8 to 9 of them from time to time and they always die or get sold to someone who’s buying all the stuff to start a reef tank that day. Disgusts me

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish pretty much the same.
Yes, and I'm trying to give reasons for people to change that practice, so that there are less 'fish are dying' threads around here -- at least those that follow on woefully inadequate research before purchase (which is troublingly common, and coincidentally pointed out in the post immediately above this one).

Hopefully some folks see value in that. If not, well, I tried.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • My coral

Votes: 33 55.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back