I don’t get yellow tangs…

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not as solid yellow but more a pale yellow for a while. After 3 months or so they gain pretty dark yellow.
Mine were semi transparent when I first received them, about 2 weeks later they were pale yellow. About a month after that they have been the same deep yellow they have been for the past 9 months I’ve had them.

I’m not sure what many are concerned about in this thread about captive bred. There are zero differences from the last year or two Biota bred and the true wild Hawaiian - I know early batches had lots of HLLE issues but mine have zero and neither do people I know that purchased around the same time or later as I did.

crahan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant regret posting this. But since I can’t take it down. What would people pay for a yellow tang out of curiosity?

Personally there are a lot of yellow fish I see that are a tiny margin of the price. And similar tangs. So why pay hundreds or even thousands?? That’s my confusion I guess.
I like fish for the utility they bring to the tank. Yellows are the Michael Jordans of picking algae off the rock.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were semi transparent when I first received them, about 2 weeks later they were pale yellow. About a month after that they have been the same deep yellow they have been for the past 9 months I’ve had them.

I’m not sure what many are concerned about in this thread about captive bred. There are zero differences from the last year or two Biota bred and the true wild Hawaiian - I know early batches had lots of HLLE issues but mine have zero and neither do people I know that purchased around the same time or later as I did.
Correct, They might be pale for a month but after that there is no different vs a wild caught. And Biota has done really good job lately, they are much better quality than a year or 2 ago during covid.

Last edited:

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, They might be pale for a month but after that they are no different that a wild caught. And Biota has done really good job and they are much better quality than a year or 2 ago during covid.
Buying from Biota supports a good cause too. I also like that the fish are in sterile environments and are born and raised in captivity rather than taken from the ocean. It’s almost impossible to breed some fish I know, but they said the same about tangs and now they’re able to successfully breed them after vast research.

BTW, also love what you do with your QT process for the hobby!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying from Biota supports a good cause too. I also like that the fish are in sterile environments and are born and raised in captivity rather than taken from the ocean. It’s almost impossible to breed some fish I know, but they said the same about tangs and now they’re able to successfully breed them after vast research.

BTW, also love what you do with your QT process for the hobby!
I am in touch with Univ of Hawaii (oceanic institute) and couple of captive bred companies also in Hawaii, that are on right track. They will have tangs and many angels captive bred and many other fish. I think last I talked to them there were 18 or 19 species they were successfully producing and being in open facility they got wiped out by 2 separate setbacks of bacterial infections. If they bounce back, which they will, I heard a really large envirement friendly organization is willing to partner with them and along with myself that has offered to invest a little in it. (leaving names out due to many private and sensitive reasons)
But it will be a game changer.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and I'm trying to give reasons for people to change that practice, so that there are less 'fish are dying' threads around here -- at least those that follow on woefully inadequate research before purchase (which is troublingly common, and coincidentally pointed out in the post immediately above this one).

Hopefully some folks see value in that. If not, well, I tried.

The sock analogy was not a good fit, and more of a stretch… Was that a pun? What? Two?

Anyway, seeing that we are being absolutely pedantic, even with the sock flop (yeah, I can’t help myself), nobody missed the point. But given the audience, I don’t think anybody here solely (there may be a pun in there too) buys fish based on color alone without other consideration.

So contextually, the response was huh?

It was light hearted and meant for a laugh.

Have a nice evening.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in touch with Univ of Hawaii (oceanic institute) and couple of captive bred companies also in Hawaii, that are on right track. They will have tangs and many angels captive bred and many other fish. I think last I talked to them there were 18 or 19 species they were successfully producing and being in open facility they got wiped out by 2 separate setbacks of bacterial infections. If they bounce back, which they will, I heard a really large envirement friendly organization is willing to partner with them and along with myself that has offered to invest a little in it. (leaving names out due to many private and sensitive reasons)
Interesting. Do keep us posted.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a pretty simple statement, but if you need it explained: choosing socks based on color isn't the best reason to choose socks, since (and this part is implicit, based on the fact that I assume people tend to know about socks) whether they're wool or cotton or synthetic, and whether they're thin or cushioned, and whether they're made in sweatshops tends to matter more. As long as the color doesn't clash with whatever else you're wearing (and sometimes even if it does a little), there's more important considerations than color when one picks out their socks for the day.

That was contrasted with the choice of which fish to put in one's tank, which as a living thing (which we have more responsibility toward than we do regarding inanimate objects like socks) should have even more consideration of factors other than their color.
Huh?????
The coloration need to be consider because it is the quality characteristic of the fish. It is like the quality of the sock in your example. A healthy high quality fish will have great color. In the case of the yellow tang, the white band is normal stress mark. And the fish been young can be light and will color up with time. Because of these reasons, coloration of a very young small yellow tang is not important. If I am buying a large grow Yellow tang for a premium price, you betcha that I will take coloration into consideration.

I will buy fish that are not in optimal condition only when I have no choice (rare fish) or else at a discount but only if I KNOW that I can care for it and brought it back to full glory.
I do not ever buy a fish, no mater how cheap it I know that I cannot return them to full health. I will keep a fish if it get permanently damage under MY CARE, but not when this happens under somebody else’s care.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome news (except for the wipe out part - but that’s why the funding and research is so vital). I hope this starts making huge strides with the industry and conquering all species to be capability of captive breeding.

Dave_Roanoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant regret posting this. But since I can’t take it down. What would people pay for a yellow tang out of curiosity?

Personally there are a lot of yellow fish I see that are a tiny margin of the price. And similar tangs. So why pay hundreds or even thousands?? That’s my confusion I guess.
My previous LFS sold them for $50-$60 so that's what I'm used to paying. Now I see them for over $100 and I refuse to pay that much, having paid half just five years ago. So to answer your question: I'd pay $60. I think they're pretty fish and I like their size.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous LFS sold them for $50-$60 so that's what I'm used to paying. Now I see them for over $100 and I refuse to pay that much, having paid half just five years ago. So to answer your question: I'd pay $60. I think they're pretty fish and I like their size.
They were only $30 when I last stopped reefing. Bought a larger tank just to keep yellows, and didn’t shop until after my tank was cycled - I was shocked to find out they were banned and at how hard they were to find locally and how much they were lol. But $165 is not crazy. I bought 3. I paid much more for my Purple Tang.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess then you are just not going to have a Yellow tang in your tank.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome news (except for the wipe out part - but that’s why the funding and research is so vital). I hope this starts making huge strides with the industry and conquering all species to be capability of captive breeding.
This is awesome and I guess I m happy for yellow tang fans….

But I want a red tail tamarin/psychedelic wrasse/Anampses chyrsocephalus :loudly-crying-face:

There are many fish in the sea and many are yellow but give me a fish that looks remotely like A chrysocephalus. ;)

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I want a red tail tamarin/psychedelic wrasse/Anampses chyrsocephalus :loudly-crying-face:

There are many fish in the sea and many are yellow but give me a fish that looks remotely like A chrysocephalus. ;)

I would love a Red Tail Tamarin!

A leopard wrasse and dragon wrasse come close to looks.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hobby realized how beloved the yellow tang was once it was gone.

It's pretty much pointless to get yellow tangs from Hawaii at this point anyway. Biota has flooded the market with them and can easily be had for 150-200.

A previous $60 yellow tang cost with current inflation and shipping costs probably wouldn't be much cheaper than a Biota anyway.

Sam21WA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are like $165 on Biota site. https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/products/hawaiian-yellow

I got mine there and the color is great. Especially now that it’s bigger.

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think Yellow Tangs are a beautiful fish, but I have been in and out of the hobby since the late ‘90s. I remember when you could get a Yellow Tang for less than $20. For that reason, I’d never buy one at the current prices. But I have no problem dropping several hundred on a wrasse;, so, it’s not an absolute price issue. Purely price anchoring bias.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^
For whatever reason, one not willing to pay for a fair price for CB fish, it is fine to me. However to parrot say that CB Yellow tangs are of poor color especially just purely from what other people said is wrong.
I have not keep CB yellow tang but seen 5 from pale yellow to normal adult bright yellow tangs. With these experiences i consider I have first hand experiences even if these fish are not mine.

About fair price, people got to make a living too. I never seen a fish breeder got wealthy selling CB fishes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome and I guess I m happy for yellow tang fans….

Exactly!
Chrysocephalus is the fish we should have, yellows are just a bland fish and have no character (I’ve watched them in LFS displays for a good hour or two) they just swim and eat algae.
They also make tanks look way too small with their hyperactive swim pattern. Whilst most wrasses just casually swim round the rocks and aren’t going to be throwing themselves around the tank.

It’s also not like Yellows are Hawaiian endemic - surely we can get them from Indonesia where they’re found. Yet we all got hyper fixated onto these fish because it’s a standard hobby fish - isn’t that the same with Blue Hippos? Why don’t we see people wanting them as much?

Back