I keep losing fish in my Fluval 13.5 gallon Nano.

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’m new to Nano tanks. In the past I had a 60 gallon tank that I sold when I sold my house. So I do have expirence and success with a previous tank. I do understand too that a nano is going to be less forgiving. I recently relocated for a new job and decided to try a nano tank. It’s the Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon.
The tank is just over 2 months old. I have several corals in the tank, all corals are doing well. I also have 5 hermit crabs and 2 snails: all are ok. I’m having trouble keeping fish in the tank though. My goal for the tank is 3 fish.
When I set up the tank, I was told putting in a small clown would be good for the ammonia cycle. The clown has been in the tank since day one and is still alive, the sole survivor. The clown has shown no signs of stress or disease to this day.
After 4 weeks the shop I bought from tested my water and said my Ammonia was at 0 and I could add my other 2 fish. I went with a blenny and a gobi. The gobi after hitting the water went belly up/sideway within a few minutes and died in under an hour. The shop was kind enough to let me have another fish. I took a Pygmy hawk. Things were good for about 2 weeks, then the Pygmy hawk was dead. I waited a week and purchased a 6 line wrasse. The next day the blenny was dead. He was breathing very heavy after a water change. Now tonight the 6 line wrasse which is just shy of 2 weeks old was breathing heavy, then dead shortly after dinner.
I’ve seen no aggression between any of these fish. I dealt with ich in my old tank when I was a rookie. The white spots were noticeable. I’ve seen no signs of white spots on the dead fish. Am I dealing with a fish disease or something else? Any tips on diagnosis/trouble shooting this issue are greatly appreciated. Why is the clown happily surviving while the other can’t?

Tank parameters:
Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.025
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’m new to Nano tanks. In the past I had a 60 gallon tank that I sold when I sold my house. So I do have expirence and success with a previous tank. I do understand too that a nano is going to be less forgiving. I recently relocated for a new job and decided to try a nano tank. It’s the Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon.
The tank is just over 2 months old. I have several corals in the tank, all corals are doing well. I also have 5 hermit crabs and 2 snails: all are ok. I’m having trouble keeping fish in the tank though. My goal for the tank is 3 fish.
When I set up the tank, I was told putting in a small clown would be good for the ammonia cycle. The clown has been in the tank since day one and is still alive, the sole survivor. The clown has shown no signs of stress or disease to this day.
After 4 weeks the shop I bought from tested my water and said my Ammonia was at 0 and I could add my other 2 fish. I went with a blenny and a gobi. The gobi after hitting the water went belly up/sideway within a few minutes and died in under an hour. The shop was kind enough to let me have another fish. I took a Pygmy hawk. Things were good for about 2 weeks, then the Pygmy hawk was dead. I waited a week and purchased a 6 line wrasse. The next day the blenny was dead. He was breathing very heavy after a water change. Now tonight the 6 line wrasse which is just shy of 2 weeks old was breathing heavy, then dead shortly after dinner.
I’ve seen no aggression between any of these fish. I dealt with ich in my old tank when I was a rookie. The white spots were noticeable. I’ve seen no signs of white spots on the dead fish. Am I dealing with a fish disease or something else? Any tips on diagnosis/trouble shooting this issue are greatly appreciated. Why is the clown happily surviving while the other can’t?

Tank parameters:
Need a little info on acclimation process for the fish.
Pictures always help.
That's a small tank and the clown being sole survivor is the boss.
Always will be.
I've never had a tank that small but clown has taken up all the space now IMO.
Tank way to small for 6 line.
They need lots more room.
Hawk too.
Sounds like lack of oxygen to me but I could be wrong.
How's the flow?
Skimmer?
Surface agitation?
All things to look at.
Do you do water changes?
Live rock?
Keep in mind clowns are pretty tough little fish.
All tanks, IMO just have a limit on how many fish you can put in there.
2 months is super young and I just don't think the tank can handle a 3 fish bio load.
Trying to be as helpful as possible but I have some questions for ya.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a little info on acclimation process for the fish.
Pictures always help.
That's a small tank and the clown being sole survivor is the boss.
Always will be.
I've never had a tank that small but clown has taken up all the space now IMO.
Tank way to small for 6 line.
They need lots more room.
Hawk too.
Sounds like lack of oxygen to me but I could be wrong.
How's the flow?
Skimmer?
Surface agitation?
All things to look at.
Do you do water changes?
Live rock?
Keep in mind clowns are pretty tough little fish.
All tanks, IMO just have a limit on how many fish you can put in there.
2 months is super young and I just don't think the tank can handle a 3 fish bio load.
Trying to be as helpful as possible but I have some questions for ya.

How's the flow? I have to think it’s sufficient the tank has 13 corals in it and all are doing well.
Skimmer? No skimmer.
Surface agitation? Nothing other than the flow created by the return, was told by lfs that’s all I needed
Do you do water changes? Every Saturday morning
Live rock? Yes, the white good quality rock.

Thank you for trying to help.

amarti2038

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with nanos. But you may have something in the tank or in the air (one reefer post explained contamination in water due to room deo sprays) that contaminates the water. I would also change the food and buy a popular brand.
An ICP test to check the params would be a good think. Good luck!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank parameters:
By the time you add rock, an Evo 13.5 is a very small tank.

Two months is also a very young tank to have coral and fish - especially fish that require a much larger tank to survive.

Clowns can be very aggressive, especially in a small tank - I think you'll find her to be the problem.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the flow? I have to think it’s sufficient the tank has 13 corals in it and all are doing well.
Skimmer? No skimmer.
Surface agitation? Nothing other than the flow created by the return, was told by lfs that’s all I needed

You said white good quality live rock?
Live rock is rock cultured in the ocean or in a established tank. Live rock is not white.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer? No skimmer.

Tank is not established enough yet to support more than one fish.
I'd wait a bit, continue on your course of maintenance and testing and let tank mature before adding more fish.
Clown will easily turn female alone if it hasn't already and will dominate the tank.
Add a skimmer or increase aeration somehow.
Unfortunately many make the mistake not knowing what cured live rock truly is and I'm suspecting this is also the problem
Pictures?

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you add rock, an Evo 13.5 is a very small tank.

Two months is also a very young tank to have coral and fish - especially fish that require a much larger tank to survive.

Clowns can be very aggressive, especially in a small tank - I think you'll find her to be the problem.
I have watched the clown and it literally likes to hang out by one rock. I’ve never seen it near the other fish for more than a moment.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you testing with?
LFS has been kind enough to do it for me weekly when I pick up water. They have a machine they put the water in and it prints out what looks like a shopping receipt with the levels.

How did you acclimate the fish before putting them in? Float for 15 mins. About halfway through drain half the water out of the bag and put in some of my tanks water. Close bag and float until I hit 15 mins. Use net to scoop fish out of bag, into tank.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is not established enough yet to support more than one fish.
I'd wait a bit, continue on your course of maintenance and testing and let tank mature before adding more fish.
Clown will easily turn female alone if it hasn't already and will dominate the tank.
Add a skimmer or increase aeration somehow.
Unfortunately many make the mistake not knowing what cured live rock truly is and I'm suspecting this is also the problem
Pictures?
What would increasing aeration do?

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS has been kind enough to do it for me weekly when I pick up water. They have a machine they put the water in and it prints out what looks like a shopping receipt with the levels.

How did you acclimate the fish before putting them in? Float for 15 mins. About halfway through drain half the water out of the bag and put in some of my tanks water. Close bag and float until I hit 15 mins. Use net to scoop fish out of bag, into tank.
Have you thought of doing drip acclimation? Are you emptying that bag water into the tank? Drip acclimation is the most precise method out there it gives the fish a proper amount of time to adjust.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would increasing aeration do?
Aeration is key. The fish breathe dissolved oxygen in water. If you don't have enough oxygen in the water, they die hence the heavy breathing. Also aeration swings based on multiple outside factors like the airflow around the tank, the lid on the tank, and the amount of surface agitation. Surface agitation breaks the surface tension of the water, letting more air in.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of doing drip acclimation? Are you emptying that bag water into the tank? Drip acclimation is the most precise method out there it gives the fish a proper amount of time to adjust.
Nooooo, tank water from LFS is bad. Like I said I’ve had a 60 gallon and it did great so thankfully I have some background. Nano has been a new challenge fish wise.

Reading feed back so far it seems like the guy in the LFS has maybe been suggesting the wrong fish for my nano.
What are some good nano fish?

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration is key. The fish breathe dissolved oxygen in water. If you don't have enough oxygen in the water, they die hence the heavy breathing. Also aeration swings based on multiple outside factors like the airflow around the tank, the lid on the tank, and the amount of surface agitation. Surface agitation breaks the surface tension of the water, letting more air in.
Would an old school air pump/air stone suffice?

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would an old school air pump/air stone suffice?
Not to experienced on this topic, but usually the solution in small tanks is to aim the flow nozzles higher. You should see a good ripple from the nozzle to the front of the tank. Air pumps are fine I think, but air stones are not typically used in display tanks because stray air bubbles can cause issues for coral if I remember right. Also you might want to get a test for your oxygen levels to make sure you aren't correcting a problem that doesn't exist.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer although not needed now is the best way to provide aeration in saltwater without salt creep everywhere.
Like I said.
Wait be patient, use your previous knowledge base and you'll succeed.
Unfortunately LFS needs to make money, too and bad advice is common.
I'd either try to pair the clown and call it a day or go for a couple tiny guys.
But let everything mature firstly.
Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer although not needed now is the best way to provide aeration in saltwater without salt creep everywhere.
Like I said.
Wait be patient, use your previous knowledge base and you'll succeed.
Unfortunately LFS needs to make money, too and bad advice is common.
I'd either try to pair the clown and call it a day or go for a couple tiny guys.
But let everything mature firstly.
Just my 2 cents.
When would be an appropriate time for a skimmer?

What are “tiny guys”?

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When would be an appropriate time for a skimmer?

What are “tiny guys”?
I'm a skimmer fanatic and think it is only a positive.
Any time you want IMO.
When I started my tank now I started it on day one.
Now, understand this is just my opinion, I'm here solely to help you out.
Lots of debate on skimmer use on R2R but I think it would be a good thing for you.
Tiny guys might be some gobies or blennies.
Research nano fish and really really try to get some compatible fish that can live in a small environment.
There's lots of those 13.5 tanks featured here and on line.
Take a look at lots of them and see what people are doing,what fish they have, etc.
And never, ever stop asking questions.
That's what we're here for.
Joel

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back