I live in Western North Carolina. Helene hit us hard.

Knucker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Franklin, NC. Our Internet and cell coverage went out and an officer lost his life. He worked at the courthouse and went out for lunch. His body was found swept away by the river. I know Asheville was hit really hard.

I'm lucky my power didn't go out, but I heard people are still without power. I hope everyone and their tanks are ok during the this crisis.

Mother nature can be so beautiful and yet so devastating at the same time.

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own some land in Glenville and have made some great connections with the community there.

I am so sorry for what your families and friends are going through, especially down into Chimney Rock/Lake Lure and of course, Asheville. It’s sheer devastation and my heart breaks for everyone out there - some of the kindest people anyone will ever meet.

I hope for a speedy recovery.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a deputy sheriff and have worked in the courts for almost 20 years. I also go home for lunch and care for my pets. So sorry for your counties loss. You just never know. We have been thinking of all the areas affected.

Shelley

OP
OP
Knucker

Knucker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I remember him he was the one who checked everyone going in. First time I met him was like 20 years ago when I went to get married. Anyway let's turn this thread around. What are some advice on taking care of a reef tank during and after a hurricane? I will go first.

Backup power is a must. I'm designing a solar, wind, and biogas generators. All tied to batteries for the whole House. If you don't know biogas is methane that comes from rotting biomass, yes even poop lol. The interesting part is any natural gas system will work with biogas with 0 modifications.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got grandparents who live near chimney rock, one of the worst hit areas. Luckily they are fine, just without power, limited cell service, and little access to basic necessities due to the roads all being destroyed by them. I’m so sorry for the officer losing his life to the storm and for the family having to mourn the loss of a loved one. This has been one disaster of a storm and my hope and prayer is everyone continues to stay safe, and is able to rebuild from this hurricane

Age3ntAar0n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in Charlotte. Several downed trees and they continue to flood our surrounding area of Mountain Island Lake from the dam at the nuke plant up the road, but nothing in comparison to Western NC.

We had a younger couple move from Asheville to our neighborhood about 4 months ago, many of their friends/family are displaced. We have offered two spare rooms in our home to whoever may need them.

As for preparedness, most of the powerlines in my direct area are underground so it would take something pretty major to affect us long term. I do have a basic UPS on a couple powerheads, heater, and have an LED light bar that can be powered by USB as a backup. When I set it all up I tested it and was able to get close to 12 hours out of the backup.

My small office tank is plugged into an outlet that is powered by my company's diesel generator. The few power outages we have had have at work only cause a mild inconvenience from the light timer resetting.

souciemm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I remember him he was the one who checked everyone going in. First time I met him was like 20 years ago when I went to get married. Anyway let's turn this thread around. What are some advice on taking care of a reef tank during and after a hurricane? I will go first.

Backup power is a must. I'm designing a solar, wind, and biogas generators. All tied to batteries for the whole House. If you don't know biogas is methane that comes from rotting biomass, yes even poop lol. The interesting part is any natural gas system will work with biogas with 0 modifications.
I'm up in Boone, NC... I used a Jackery Battery bank and have a solar panel to recharge it. We didnt have any sunshine to recharge though for the first day or two. By then our neighbor's power had come back and I was able to charge the Jackery at their house. I would just plug in the heater and a small pump for about 30 minute intervals a few times a day. I did not really have enough power to do more than that and there were other things that needed power that were more important than my tanks. We've been putting off buying a generator for years but we finally bought one on a payment plan to help spread out the cost. I'm also going to store 55 gallons of water (for drinking, not fish) in the crawlspace.

I also used a bucket of water from a water change to flush toilets!

I've always been curious about biogas generators! I hope yours works out!

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biogas sounds interesting. Keep us updated if you find success with it.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Franklin, NC. Our Internet and cell coverage went out and an officer lost his life. He worked at the courthouse and went out for lunch. His body was found swept away by the river. I know Asheville was hit really hard.

I'm lucky my power didn't go out, but I heard people are still without power. I hope everyone and their tanks are ok during the this crisis.

Mother nature can be so beautiful and yet so devastating at the same time.
i live in NC too. alot of recovery efforts were stalled because Mark Robinson refused to vote on relief efforts. and that guy is running for governor. lord help us all.

IS YOUR URCHIN THE TANK MAINTENANCE MAN OR THE TANK MENACE? SHOW OFF YOUR URCHINS IN THE COMMENTS!

• Maintenance Man!

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Menace!

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • A little bit of both...

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Other (Please explain).

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back