I need some 5 gallon or less pico tank ideas.

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looking to start up a second tank that will be 5 gallons or less. I want to put a little mangrove in it and some easy corals like GSP and Xenia. I want to get a little tank that has curved edges. I have a few questions down below and let me know what you think.

What tank, light, and filtration do you recommend? (Looking for a very quiet setup)

What fish can go in it if any?

Do I need to be dosing and testing the tank water if it’s that small or can I just do weekly water changes and how much?

If you have a tank like this or any pico tanks please send me a picture and lmk what you are using.

Thanks

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only things that will do fine in a pico would be gobies, blue cleaner gobies, and red spotted gobies. I think a clown goby would also be fine in a 5 gallon.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only things that will do fine in a pico would be gobies, blue cleaner gobies, and red spotted gobies. I think a clown goby would also be fine in a 5 gallon.
and also most small inverts are better suited for pico tanks.

Shawnd08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing weekly water changes will be all you need on a tank that small. Years ago i had a 3.5 gallon tank with a green clown goby. I used a Par38 led bulb on desk lamp arm. I also had a Fluval Evo 5g with a mangrove. I also used the par38 led bulb on that as well. I will try to dig up some pictures.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing weekly water changes will be all you need on a tank that small. Years ago i had a 3.5 gallon tank with a green clown goby. I used a Par38 led bulb on desk lamp arm. I also had a Fluval Evo 5g with a mangrove. I also used the par38 led bulb on that as well. I will try to dig up some pictures.
Pictures would be great

Shawnd08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures would be great
This is all I could find.
Screenshot_20240917_110357_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240917_110003_Facebook.jpg

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looking to start up a second tank that will be 5 gallons or less. I want to put a little mangrove in it and some easy corals like GSP and Xenia. I want to get a little tank that has curved edges. I have a few questions down below and let me know what you think.

What tank, light, and filtration do you recommend? (Looking for a very quiet setup)

What fish can go in it if any?

Do I need to be dosing and testing the tank water if it’s that small or can I just do weekly water changes and how much?

If you have a tank like this or any pico tanks please send me a picture and lmk what you are using.

Thanks

I'd probably just do one of those little kessils, easy, no fan noise.

Filtration, on my PICO's I just did floss and kept up with water changes, floss can even be optional.

Small gobies: neon, green banded, tiger, clown, hi-fin etc.
Small blennies: Pictus, two spot blenny, barnacle blennies, etc

No, you can just do water changes, I did 90% on mine, just enough water for fish to sit in but you can do less.

This was a 5g marineland tank, just floss for filter, heavy feedings with heavy export through 90% water changes, no testing. My light was an old nano-box pico light and powerhead was the smallest jeabo (4 I think?)

I bought KPA ocean live rock for it so I could add SPS right away without that "omg my sps dying cuz dry rock" crap.

It was just fun/contest tank so I only ran it for a bit over a year and then moved the corals. I could no longer scrape the glass as they filled it all in :p

1726599977703.png

Last edited:

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is my self maintaining, waterchange-less, cycle skipped, 1.1g pico

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatop makes some 3 and 5 gallon options. Also the Fluval 5 sea worked for me for a while. My current pico is a 1 gallon, Ill clean it up and send some photos. I do minimal maintenence. Floss and water changes is more than enough.

As far as light, with a mangrove, par 38 would be good like someone mentioned. Or a very bright window. or both. xD

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just do one of those little kessils, easy, no fan noise.

Filtration, on my PICO's I just did floss and kept up with water changes, floss can even be optional.

Small gobies: neon, green banded, tiger, clown, hi-fin etc.
Small blennies: Pictus, two spot blenny, barnacle blennies, etc

No, you can just do water changes, I did 90% on mine, just enough water for fish to sit in but you can do less.

This was a 5g marineland tank, just floss for filter, heavy feedings with heavy export through 90% water changes, no testing. My light was an old nano-box pico light and powerhead was the smallest jeabo (4 I think?)

I bought KPA ocean live rock for it so I could add SPS right away without that "omg my sps dying cuz dry rock" crap.

It was just fun/contest tank so I only ran it for a bit over a year and then moved the corals. I could no longer scrape the glass as they filled it all in :p

1726599977703.png
That’s an amazing tank thanks for the advice

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back