I Received a NEW Trident NP Nitrate & Phosphate Tester!!!!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely seems like you're making a lot of subjective conclusions with very little fact and only speculation.

One thing that is worth reflecting on is thinking about it from different perspectives.

what if shedding all the inventory from brs was a move to renegotiate margins? That seems more plausible than, "let's cut sales on popular product and shrink our market share". The "spite" angle, although drums up emotions and sparks debate, just doesn't seem like something a company would do.

Another perspective is that coral view was a pipeline to overseas products and it's very likely that depending on how secure their contracts are with these companies, perhaps APL is simply wanting to go directly to the source. Again, that seems more plausible than "Spite".

I also go a step further and know that there are private areas on the internet where people gather and knowingly, willingly create a front for propaganda. Recently, Hydros has been the focus of one of these propaganda campaigns. It doesn't take much to know that hydros is a shell of what people are saying it is, however the conversations that surround it seem to make it a direct competitor to GHL and Neptune. Which arguably far from the truth.

Based on your experience, you definitely have strong emotional animosity towards neptune to the point it inspired you to make and edit a long video. I get the need to let off steam, but you'd have to accompany accusations with fact.

Whether or not your part of the propaganda machine or a product of their efforts, I'd be skeptical of what you hear and read about the drama surrounding this topic.

It's not far fetched to think that if companies start to lose revenue based on the economic climate, CV would be more likely to go under before APL. There's no doubt there is a retraction in the industry It's going to be a tough road ahead for CV as well as those that bought into their ecosystem knowing there's a strong chance that hydros will fail just like many controller products before them.

Don't take my work for it, look at all the controllers that have came and gone from our hobby.

When given the big picture things start to seem outlandish when people speculate while looking through a microscope.

I get that emotions want Neptune, BRS, Ecotech, AI to fail, but wouldn't the smaller companies go down before the behemoth?

Do you think that perhaps CV realizes this and is using unorthodox techniques to shape the narrative in their favor?

Perspective and reason is everything. Something I'm finding a few fellow hobbyist have neither of.

Thank you for sharing yours and hope your day is well.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so my first test after resetting....

Phos: 0.47
Nitrates 7.8

I did connect my old 70g reef into my 180g reef. I used 25gal of old water and 45g brand new fresh salt. This was a reef with no algae or any real issues.

To get these numbers my 25g of water would have had to have a concentration of 70.8 nitrates and 4.124 phosphates lol. I dont think thats realistic. I had a torch in there while not super happy was surviving.

I havent done the update but will do when I get home tonight. I also havent used the calibration fluid yet. I will do that. Post what I get for a reading tomorrow vs what I measure with my hanna checkers tonight because I wanna sleep well knowing my phos isnt crazy lol.

RelaxingWithTheReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem #1: My new NP had a clogged fill hose. The pinch valve caused the fill hose to stick together blocking the flow. I fixed it by removing the hose from the solenoid, and rolling the hose between my fingers to work out the deformity. As a precaution, I also did this to the other 4 valves. I still did not calibrate due to warnings about performing the calibration procedure. But I did perform the Factory Reset.

The unit read 0.58 when my phosphates were 0.040. As a test, I spiked an aquarium water sample with 0.100ppm phosphate using a commercial phosphate standard. To my surprise, the tester picked up the spike perfectly with readings of 0.67 and 0.68! It then returned to 0.58 with normal aquarium water. While this may be a fluke, it gives me hope the tester and phosphate chemistry fundamentally work! BTW – The nitrate is always spot on.

Problem #2: There appears to be a phosphate drift issue where there is a downward drift over time. If we calibrate to the initial reading by subtracting 0.54 from the reading, we generate the following data:

NP.png

There is some rounding error in there, but it appears the NP is drifting downward over time.

This puts us users in a pickle as there is no way to adjust the calibration based on our aquarium water like the standard Trident allows, and re-calibrating the NP is difficult as the calibration fluid is only accurate for 8 hours.

I think it’s important to give the users the ability to readjust calibration based on the aquarium water after the unit hopefully stabilizes. But the reports of units functioning for weeks, and then drifting down are really troubling.

It’s unclear if the pinch valve problem I experienced is responsible for some of the drift issues.

The new software release tells us the company is clearly working on the issues. I was thinking in a worst case scenario a simple DIY calibration solution can possibly be formulated to help address the calibration. But we will have to see if the cause of the drift can be identified, and if the drift eventually stabilizes. Time will tell…

Hope this helps people that are questioning their really high phosphate readings. The crazy readings are not to be trusted, and likely not real. Please don't put a ton of GFO in there, and crash your tank.

Last edited:

Reef Hub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely seems like you're making a lot of subjective conclusions with very little fact and only speculation.

One thing that is worth reflecting on is thinking about it from different perspectives.

what if shedding all the inventory from brs was a move to renegotiate margins? That seems more plausible than, "let's cut sales on popular product and shrink our market share". The "spite" angle, although drums up emotions and sparks debate, just doesn't seem like something a company would do.

Another perspective is that coral view was a pipeline to overseas products and it's very likely that depending on how secure their contracts are with these companies, perhaps APL is simply wanting to go directly to the source. Again, that seems more plausible than "Spite".

I also go a step further and know that there are private areas on the internet where people gather and knowingly, willingly create a front for propaganda. Recently, Hydros has been the focus of one of these propaganda campaigns. It doesn't take much to know that hydros is a shell of what people are saying it is, however the conversations that surround it seem to make it a direct competitor to GHL and Neptune. Which arguably far from the truth.

Based on your experience, you definitely have strong emotional animosity towards neptune to the point it inspired you to make and edit a long video. I get the need to let off steam, but you'd have to accompany accusations with fact.

Whether or not your part of the propaganda machine or a product of their efforts, I'd be skeptical of what you hear and read about the drama surrounding this topic.

It's not far fetched to think that if companies start to lose revenue based on the economic climate, CV would be more likely to go under before APL. There's no doubt there is a retraction in the industry It's going to be a tough road ahead for CV as well as those that bought into their ecosystem knowing there's a strong chance that hydros will fail just like many controller products before them.

Don't take my work for it, look at all the controllers that have came and gone from our hobby.

When given the big picture things start to seem outlandish when people speculate while looking through a microscope.

I get that emotions want Neptune, BRS, Ecotech, AI to fail, but wouldn't the smaller companies go down before the behemoth?

Do you think that perhaps CV realizes this and is using unorthodox techniques to shape the narrative in their favor?
Shedding the inventory was not to renegotiate sales. BRS even marked the items as discontinued and I had the opportunity to speak with BRS support. They confirmed to me the items were being dropped and no longer sold. Those were decisions made by their higher ups is all I was told.

Also, smaller companies do not always fail before the bigger ones that is pure fiction as well. We have seen several larger companies fail here in the US versus smaller ones. One great example is a small local manufacturer in my area. When GM and Delphi dominated this area before the recession, 80% of that manufacturers work came from GM and Delphi. Well since the recession, GM and Delphi bailed leaving behind several buildings that are still vacant until this day. That small manufacturing company is still in business. I do not know how, but went by there and their doors are still open. Deftly not as busy as it used to be car count wise, but they did survive.

Also, GHL released an announcement to the public on this. They told everyone that APL and GHL were splitting ways. I have also had the chance to speak with CV too and this was confirmed as well.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion and thoughts. I appreciate them either way and also stated that in the video. All i did was express my point of view, just like you did here!

Either way, thanks for taking the time to view and for the feedback :)

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same 0 phosphate issue that everyone else has. I did do a factor reset and it not ready way higher than phosphates actually are. I also did the update this morning. I notice everyone keeps saying that they recalibrated. How is everyone recalibrating? Using the calibration fluid? The reagents only come with one on the box. I actually ordered replacement reagents just so I can recalibrate and it didn’t solve the issue I was still getting zeros until I did a factory reset.

Reef Hub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same 0 phosphate issue that everyone else has. I did do a factor reset and it not ready way higher than phosphates actually are. I also did the update this morning. I notice everyone keeps saying that they recalibrated. How is everyone recalibrating? Using the calibration fluid? The reagents only come with one on the box. I actually ordered replacement reagents just so I can recalibrate and it didn’t solve the issue I was still getting zeros until I did a factory reset.
They do not have a calibration built into a task yet. You need to do it manually using the calibration fluid they provided. The calibration fluid contains no values and is supposed to already be known values by the trident np. This link should help you with calibration - https://help.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/tridentnp/calibration/

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When GM and Delphi dominated this area before the recession, 80% of that manufacturers work came from GM and Delphi. Well since the recession, GM and Delphi bailed leaving behind several buildings that are still vacant until this day.
Trimming the fat and going out of business are 2 separate things. I'd wager that if the smaller company was in a better position they might've made a similar decision to pull out of a failing local economy.

We are all aware of what the public knows of what transpired. What we don't know is the rest of the story.

Comparing aperture to gm isn't a good example, although apl has 3 geographical location and seem to be consolidating, I would still wager that in about year, year and half CV is going to either have to close ranks or find an influx of capital if they want to survive. And it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to know that offers from private equity have all but dried up in this faction of the hobby.

Aperture, on the other hand, will definitely feel the squeeze but they are not going down before anyone else.

Keep in mind, decisions at aperture are no longer being made by the previous regimes that have close personal ties to the community. We are witnessing a level of business acumen that prioritize profits. Hence my stance that this is a clear case of hardball by a board appointed by Bertram to run the show.

It's GHL and CV prerogative to choose to part ways with BRS, and I'm not saying that there's plenty of blame to go around but let's just wait and see what happens when the other shoe drops.

What hobbyists should consider is that choosing sides and speaking I'll of one over the other is doing us no favors. In fact the whole reason this is public is that the certain people felt backed up against a wall and decided to weaponize consumers in an effort to force a narrative. I mean, you were motivated to make a video. And I was motivated to try and show there's a lot more to the story.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It's GHL and CV prerogative to choose to part ways with BRS, and I'm not saying that there's plenty of blame to go around but let's just wait and see what happens when the other shoe drops.

GHL and CV had no choice here. Aperture set their foot down and booted them both. Multiple reasons why: competition and lack of sales being two of them.

Neptune has moved to PA with Ecotech. Very few left in the California offices. I have a hunch that BRS may head to PA as well in the near future.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am thinking this has happened as well. As long as I know its off by just a factor of 10 but its accurate im much happier than a $700 RNG Machine.
after a reset and the next daily test my trident NP is reporting the correct value -- at least the decimal place is in the correct position.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the Apex (A2) firmware update, Did trident np module firmware update earlier this morning. At 8pm Central it did a scheduled test as programmed to. Came back with
NP:
No3 26ppm and Phos 0.04
I checked it against Idip and Hanna both reported
No3 28ppm and Phos 0.03

So for me it seems to be working within margin of error.

Is it going to stay reliable and not just show a number for phos like it was before, Time will tell.
I already have developed a trust on NP for nitrate results. So I am not going to cross check that anymore but for Phos I will continue to test with multiple kits for days and weeks ahead to make sure NP falls within reasonable range before I can trust it without comparing to other kits

Last edited:

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did the firmware update last night, reseting to factory right now and then restarting it in 30 mins. I will report what I get on my noon test. Hoping this is less random.

JLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What im noticing after all this recommendations: updates, reboot, factory reset, no manual test and more is that each time phosphate comes close to 1.0 ppm under hanna test, neptune never catch that reading passing above 0.09ppm

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today at 8am which is my normal time to test NP.
NP no3 23.5 Po4 0.04
Hanna no3 23.7 idip Po4 0.04

So NP is dead on.
Will continue to compare Phos for few more days till I am convinced.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So today at 8am which is my normal time to test NP.
NP no3 23.5 Po4 0.04
Hanna no3 23.7 idip Po4 0.04

So NP is dead on.
Will continue to compare Phos for few more days till I am convinced.

Was this after the update? did you factory reset and restart? Did you calibrate?

Thanks!

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no simply update the firmware. no resets or anything after update

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is all good news to hear. I had one on order a few weeks ago then cancelled it after all the issues people were reporting. If it seems to be fixed, I may have to order one again.

Last edited:

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the latest update is working for me. Glad it’s working now. Kinda ticked I wasted a set of reagents to get here but it’s the cost of doing business.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the latest update is working for me. Glad it’s working now. Kinda ticked I wasted a set of reagents to get here but it’s the cost of doing business.

Reach out to Neptune support and let them know your thoughts. Maybe they will cut a deal or maybe not. In any case you provided your thoughts on it. All it takes is your time and by that I mean no disrespect. We are all busy so your time may be light for this sort of stuff.

Hope all is well.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WARNING: This is NOT READY for prime time!

I am glad to hear others have had success. I have yet to achieve the same. I have mine connected to A2 Apex and have updated both Apex and Trident NP software. I then re-primed all lines, reset all options, performed calibration, enabled factory defaults, and restarted the Trident, but I still have issues with PO4. Nitrate readings seem reasonably accurate.

1721339536421.png

Last edited:

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
WARNING: This is NOT READY for prime time!

I am glad to hear others have had success. I have yet to achieve the same. I have mine connected to A2 Apex and have updated both Apex and Trident NP software. I then re-primed all lines, reset all options, performed calibration, enabled factory defaults, and restarted the Trident, but I still have issues with PO4. Nitrate readings seem reasonably accurate.

1721339536421.png

What AOS are you running?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back