I think I eliminated ALL hair algae in my system.

tempemonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 8 months ago I nuked my tank with Vibrant and Phosphate-E and all the hair algae vanished. Currently I have some crabs, LPS, copepods, bristle worms, tiny star fish, etc but absolutely NO HAIR ALGAE... None.... zero. My rocks look like the surface of the moon. Cheato grows well, but I notice that I do not have any tube worms. I am afraid to get anything at the local fish store for fear of introducing hair algae to the system again.

Is it healthy to run a tank like this? Has anyone ever heard of eliminating all hair algae?

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my cycle was done, I had the typical ugly stage, but put in a good CUC had utilitarian fish that liked to eat algae. It would come back a little from time to time but the inhabitants had it under control. I wouldn't presume you have absolutely none. My guess is that it's lurking.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eliminated all my hair algae by buying a zebrasoma tang. I haven’t had hair algae since. Desjadini and a Scopas both consumed it.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there to only see it pop up again :frowning-face:
Same ... just never went after it with anything aggressive like OP (other than manual removal).
Expected GHA at some point early on,,, got passed it.
Hadn't seen any in easily over a year (closer to 2) and now I have a bit of an outbreak again (only on my rocks that started as dry 2.5+ years ago,,, none on my rocks that were already "aquacultured" when purchased).

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same ... just never went after it with anything aggressive like OP (other than manual removal).
Expected GHA at some point early on,,, got passed it.
Hadn't seen any in easily over a year (closer to 2) and now I have a bit of an outbreak again (on my rocks that started as dry 2.5+ years ago,,, none on my rocks that were already "aquacultured" when purchased).
Overdosing carbon had solved it until final frustration where I ended up dismantling because new floors going in. Did start turning white with peroxide dosing so perhaps that was working.

Last bout technically my fought as I upgraded lights purposely hoping to grow it as a make shift Fuge but that turned ugly quick with dinos and cyano and this really weird algae that would break off and then found weird stuff I've never seen before floating requiring daily removal. What a nightmare :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.6%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 97 43.5%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back