Ich or lympho?

Shadoww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Valentini puffer to my tank about 2 weeks ago. All seemed fine but yesterday I now notice some white specs on him. Some photos are attached.

Additionally I noticed a very small spot on my clown triggerfish, can’t pick that up on my camera. My orange shoulder tang also had a spot on his fin yesterday but that has disappeared today.

Is this ich? I am not equipped with room or funds for a QT at the moment, hoping it’s just something they can fight off.

IMG_8649.jpeg IMG_8650.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I added a Valentini puffer to my tank about 2 weeks ago. All seemed fine but yesterday I now notice some white specs on him. Some photos are attached.

Additionally I noticed a very small spot on my clown triggerfish, can’t pick that up on my camera. My orange shoulder tang also had a spot on his fin yesterday but that has disappeared today.

Is this ich? I am not equipped with room or funds for a QT at the moment, hoping it’s just something they can fight off.

IMG_8649.jpeg IMG_8650.jpeg
May be lympho. Ich will move every 24 hrs. If same number of dots tomorrow, not ich and may be lympho. If more, likely ich

OP
OP
Shadoww

Shadoww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be lympho. Ich will move every 24 hrs. If same number of dots tomorrow, not ich and may be lympho. If more, likely ich
Any other signs to distinguish them? Say, lack of appetite or rampant spread to other fish? I have other fish that show no signs of it for several days, and everyone seems to be eating fine. Just seems odd that the tang has already dropped the spot, I observe this tank often and I’d suspect I’d have seen it sooner if it was there for longer.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Any other signs to distinguish them? Say, lack of appetite or rampant spread to other fish? I have other fish that show no signs of it for several days, and everyone seems to be eating fine. Just seems odd that the tang has already dropped the spot, I observe this tank often and I’d suspect I’d have seen it sooner if it was there for longer.
This would be very early. Often signs will be increased breathing rate, loss of appetite, appearance of salt grain dots and hiding.

OP
OP
Shadoww

Shadoww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be very early. Often signs will be increased breathing rate, loss of appetite, appearance of salt grain dots and hiding.
Just a follow up from today. Puffer seems to have same spots, with a few new small ones I think, rather hard to tell. The clown triggerfish and tang both have no new spots at all and the rest of the fish still have nothing at all.

Attachments

• IMG_8662.jpeg
    IMG_8662.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8663.jpeg
    IMG_8663.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 23

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just a follow up from today. Puffer seems to have same spots, with a few new small ones I think, rather hard to tell. The clown triggerfish and tang both have no new spots at all and the rest of the fish still have nothing at all.
The other fish with no dots- good. The added dots on puffer, consider quarantine as waiting another day to see if added dots could potentially infect them. For puffer, you can in lieu of coppersafe treat with general cure or chloroquine phosphate which General cure would work

OP
OP
Shadoww

Shadoww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fish with no dots- good. The added dots on puffer, consider quarantine as waiting another day to see if added dots could potentially infect them. For puffer, you can in lieu of coppersafe treat with general cure or chloroquine phosphate which General cure would work
I might just have to bite the bullet and set up a 20L as a quarantine tank. If it is ich, which it looks likely to be, it’s going to be in the tank overall then. How long do you think I have to set up the QT system before any possible deaths?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I might just have to bite the bullet and set up a 20L as a quarantine tank. If it is ich, which it looks likely to be, it’s going to be in the tank overall then. How long do you think I have to set up the QT system before any possible deaths?
Sooner the better. As it progresses, it weakens the fish

OP
OP
Shadoww

Shadoww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooner the better. As it progresses, it weakens the fish
I think I will do TTM as I have fish like a mandarin and clownfish, which I am concerned about doing copper with. She eats frozen too so I am less worried about feeding during QT.

Still no signs of ich on the other fish though and the puffer has a few more spots again. Makes me wonder if ich was in the system before I added the puffer and something stressed it out.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back