Icp Trace Element Advice

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just conducted an Icp test on my 2 year old Reefer 200. This is my first test and although the key parameters were good, trace elements are showing a little low overall.

Now the cynic in me says they'll try and sell you every potion under the sun but just wanted to get an independent take on it all before I spend some money. Would somebody be able to advise the key trace elements they would look at raising, as I'm fairly new to this it does seem a little daunting, I currently dose Modern Reef 4 part.

My initial thoughts are, Iron, Manganese, Iodine and possibly Vandium?

Screenshot_20240425_172116_Chrome.jpg

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just conducted an Icp test on my 2 year old Reefer 200. This is my first test and although the key parameters were good, trace elements are showing a little low overall.

Now the cynic in me says they'll try and sell you every potion under the sun but just wanted to get an independent take on it all before I spend some money. Would somebody be able to advise the key trace elements they would look at raising, as I'm fairly new to this it does seem a little daunting, I currently dose Modern Reef 4 part.

I wasn't a huge fan of WCs for the longest time. I dose half of my dkh/day with kalk, and half with AFR.

I had elevated tin, and I way overdid it with K, thinking I was low. I sent off an ICP about a month ago after 2.5 years. I would do 10% WC weekly/biweekly at best. The only other thing I was dosing with trace was aqauvitro fuel, just about daily. Also whatever unknown concotion kz flatworm stop and coral boost may have. I also use Randy's DIY feregon for iron once per week, no noticeable impact that I could observe.

These were my results, aside from tin, not a bad showing with minimal WC IMO:
1000032805.jpg

I plan to be a little more diligent with WC and maybe add a few 20%s in and leave the kalk/AFR strategy. Hope this information helps you determine your path forward.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you performing regular water changes and if so how much?

If you're doing 10% every week or two I'd not worry about those results.

If you're doing significantly less, I'd look at a trace element mix like TM A & K and see if you can notice any difference.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave the kalk/AFR strategy.
Just to add a bit, AFR adds trace elements. It contains TM A and K and is what Randy recommended in second post.

Yes you are adding trace elements and water change will help as well.

Foods also contain trace elements…

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add a bit, AFR adds trace elements. It contains TM A and K and is what Randy recommended in second post.

Yes you are adding trace elements and water change will help as well.

Foods also contain trace elements…
Understood on A and K, i can only provide my experience, that being with AFR.

I will say that I like the idea of "trickling trace" even if it's not "in range" for ICP, opposed to nothing at all or a build up/too much from chasing specific corrections.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that I like the idea of "trickling trace" even if it's not "in range" for ICP, opposed to nothing at all or a build up/too much from chasing specific corrections.
That I agree 100% and that is why I do try to understand what various products include.

From my limited experience I observed that corals appear to grow better when things like trace elements ie. iron are available but limited. Surplus tends to create problems so I will not add extra if I know it is there.

The corrections should be made gradually as well. The problem with corrections is you fix one limitation but that just creates another “Liebig's law of the minimum” . Moonshiner method seems to try to address this.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you performing regular water changes and if so how much?

If you're doing 10% every week or two I'd not worry about those results.

If you're doing significantly less, I'd look at a trace element mix like TM A & K and see if you can notice any difference.
Since starting the tank it's been 15 percent per week without fail, Nyos salt used.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think dosing a trace element supplement mix and seeing if anything changes is a fine plan. Tropic Marin A and K might be a good bet to try.
Thanks for the reply Randy. So I'm planning to start with Tropic Marin A- and K Plus, setup on two individual dose heads on 2ml daily as per the guidance. Leave it four weeks and then Icp? As I'm low across most elements my thoughts are a multitrace would be more effective and less of a headache than buying individual trace elements as the Icp test advised?

I'm guessing I can't mix the compounds to save a dosing head? I'm thinking if that was possible Tropic Marin would be selling it as one anyway?

How does that sound for a plan?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back