ID coral

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to ID a coral, so I can find out how to frag it. It is starting to have a lot of heads (which I am very happy about), but I have no idea how to frag it (haven't fragged before) and would like to know what coral it is, so I can specifically do research. I would also appreciate it if any of you could immediately follow up the ID with a possible way of fragging it and where to cut etc. I am kind of hesitant to frag it right now, since I do not want to kill the whole coral.

The coral on the left is the one I am curious about.

1680791421037.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the coral that send people to the hospital when they unknowing clean live rock or aquarium with this coral in it. I would get rid of it. Please don’t trade or sell them without inform the buyer how toxic and precaution when handling them.
I would consider stop dealing with the people who give/sell you this coral without informing you.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the coral that send people to the hospital when they unknowing clean live rock or aquarium with this coral in it. I would get rid of it. Please don’t trade or sell them without inform the buyer how toxic and precaution when handling them.
I would consider stop dealing with the people who give/sell you this coral without informing you.
I've read about it, but honestly can't help but to wonder: Are the truly THIS dangerous? What is the chance of it releasing its toxin and is there a way to detect it?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree Palythoa Grandis. Palytoxin is very dangerous. My understanding is Yes, it will release palytoxin when you frag/cut it. As said above use proper PPE and be careful. You would frag it like any other paly or zoa. Though, It only has 3 heads and some people say paly/zoa's do better with multiple heads per frag. . . basically don't frag it until you have 3-5 polyps to actually frag off.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read about it, but honestly can't help but to wonder: Are the truly THIS dangerous? What is the chance of it releasing its toxin and is there a way to detect it?
It is your health and your life, you can do whatever you want with it, as long as you are responsible for your medical bill and not the taxpayer. Hospitalization for this problem is not common but not rare, the medical profession has write-ups on this; and because it is an uncommon, but not rare, diagnosis we have M&M conference (Mortality and Morbidly conferences) on this topic every few years.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is your health and your life, you can do whatever you want with it, as long as you are responsible for your medical bill and not the taxpayer. Hospitalization for this problem is not common but not rare, the medical profession has write-ups on this; and because it is an uncommon, but not rare, diagnosis we have M&M conference (Mortality and Morbidly conferences) on this topic every few years.
Aside from the fact that I am healthier than the majority of the taxpayers and have probably paid more in my life-time for others than I have for myself who maybe went to the hospital once in 10 years for something so small it can basically be nullified: The question wasn't "should I be reckless"? The question was: Is it actually this dangerous, or (as most hobbiest) are people taking things out of context? The follow up question which was completely ignored by you: Is there a way to detect it? I already understood it was dangerous from the X posts which were before you.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin is very toxic. Just a tiny amount in tiny droplets, that get splash on your eye, vapor or aerosolize that you breath in, or tiny bit that displaced in water then get in your from a little scratch can get you sick or kill you.
It is just plain stupid if you want to try to test and see if this is true. It is just the way to compete and win the Darwin Award.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin is very toxic. Just a tiny amount in tiny droplets, that get splash on your eye, vapor or aerosolize that you breath in, or tiny bit that displaced in water then get in your from a little scratch can get you sick or kill you.
It is just plain stupid if you want to try to test and see if this is true. It is just the way to compete and win the Darwin Award.
Again, who mentioned that I was going to test this? If you can't stay on topic, please leave the topic alone instead of making passive agressive remarks which are completely irrelevant to the question.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No...

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back