Nano Tangs Wen?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I rehome my scolies, acantho, etc. I do have an acan and a hammer tho...

hammer probably safe, most fish don't like euphyllia, mine never touched acans but some fish like em

The little pygmy/cherub is regarded as one of the safest, flame back probably similar

Coral beautys and flame angels are pretty commonly kept too.

Lemon peels are generally not safe :)

FYI plenty of small tangs like tomini may not touch hair algae either. Not uncommon for bristletooths to not eat hair algae. Just poo to feed it. Would be hit or miss.

Zebramosa are better grazers but grow larger, more active, Convict tangs do well too but they are delicate also need larger space.

Mini rabbitfish would probably be even better for algae control than tangs and easy to keep, if only they stayed small.

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe that should be my project in retirement. Find the gene for a form of dwarfism in fish and then genetically engineer a tang that stays about 2-3 inches long… come to think of it that would not be a tang. Just because we may be able to do it doesn’t mean we should.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that should be my project in retirement. Find the gene for a form of dwarfism in fish and then genetically engineer a tang that stays about 2-3 inches long… come to think of it that would not be a tang. Just because we may be able to do it doesn’t mean we should.
As long as we keep it in the hobby and out of the oceans. Tangs are just the stepping stone to more fish. I feel like a villain saying this, but pygmy clowns for pico tanks.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hammer probably safe, most fish don't like euphyllia, mine never touched acans but some fish like em

The little pygmy/cherub is regarded as one of the safest, flame back probably similar

Coral beautys and flame angels are pretty commonly kept too.

Lemon peels are generally not safe :)

FYI plenty of small tangs like tomini may not touch hair algae either. Not uncommon for bristletooths to not eat hair algae. Just poo to feed it. Would be hit or miss.

Zebramosa are better grazers but grow larger, more active, Convict tangs do well too but they are delicate also need larger space.

Mini rabbitfish would probably be even better for algae control than tangs and easy to keep, if only they stayed small.
Thanks for the insight! Angels are sounding like a better option for the showpiece fish in my tank. I may hold off on adding any more fish atm. I have been noticing my clowns doing breeding behavior and I dont want to disturb them. They must feel real safe atm, adding another fish I am sure will disrupt it.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 53 55.8%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 36 37.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back