ID Please...Vermeted Snail? Or No?

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this critter is growing on my Live Rock.....I'm leaning towards a Vermeted Snail...but not sure.

And whatever it is...how do you remove it??

20230301_201208.jpg
20230301_201203.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a type of warty nem ,i would get positive ID before removing...
@Eagle_Steve ??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Here is another pic, you can see it is firmly attached to the live rock right behind my phyllangia coral.
20230301_203509.jpg
Looks like a dendrophyllid or Calliactis but pic red and fuzzy to fully verify

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also..is it possible that it is a new phyllangia coral growing? It is right behind the main one that I have....it came with live rock I bought from Tampa Bay Saltwater???

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...what type??
Looks like Phyllangia americana for the cluster and could be the same for the single. Easiest way to tell is to take something you can lightly blow water on it and do that. get it to retract and determine if the base is hard or soft. If it is hard, then Phyllangia americana is what it is. If it is soft, this is where we get into a bit of a rabbit hole.

If the base is soft and fleshy, then it is more than likely a Bunodosoma sp. Issue with the tis most nems in the gulf and Atlantic coast of FL are all lumped into this and they are not actually Bunodosoma sp. There I work being done to reclassify and to classify nems in FL, but that takes times, so no major changes yet.

Again, easiest way to tell is to determine if the base is soft or hard.

I will say, if it is a nem, it is not aiptasia, exaptasia, or majano. These nems are pod eaters. They can also thrive off a little mysis throw to them here or there. They do not reproduce readily like pest nems and I have some in all my tanks. Also, once they grow, they tend to develop really cool patterns and have no issue of harming fish.

Here are a few of mine. As you can see, quite a few different look different and only the last 2 pics are true warty nems Bunodosoma cavernata(warty nem).
tempImageuVWguB.png

IMG_7417.JPG
IMG_7937.JPG
IMG_7938.JPG
tempImagelDyRr0.png
IMG_3743.jpg

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Phyllangia americana for the cluster and could be the same for the single. Easiest way to tell is to take something you can lightly blow water on it and do that. get it to retract and determine if the base is hard or soft. If it is hard, then Phyllangia americana is what it is. If it is soft, this is where we get into a bit of a rabbit hole.

If the base is soft and fleshy, then it is more than likely a Bunodosoma sp. Issue with the tis most nems in the gulf and Atlantic coast of FL are all lumped into this and they are not actually Bunodosoma sp. There I work being done to reclassify and to classify nems in FL, but that takes times, so no major changes yet.

Again, easiest way to tell is to determine if the base is soft or hard.

I will say, if it is a nem, it is not aiptasia, exaptasia, or majano. These nems are pod eaters. They can also thrive off a little mysis throw to them here or there. They do not reproduce readily like pest nems and I have some in all my tanks. Also, once they grow, they tend to develop really cool patterns and have no issue of harming fish.

Here are a few of mine. As you can see, quite a few different look different and only the last 2 pics are true warty nems Bunodosoma cavernata(warty nem).
tempImageuVWguB.png

IMG_7417.JPG
IMG_7937.JPG
IMG_7938.JPG
tempImagelDyRr0.png
IMG_3743.jpg
Awesome. Thanks

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard on outside, soft on inside.....Is it another phyllangia growing? This is an actual piece of Live Rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater
Screenshot_20230303_224846_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230303_225616_Gallery.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU PREPARE YOUR REEF FOR IMPENDING BAD WEATHER? SHARE YOUR POWER OUTAGE TIPS IN THE COMMENTS

• Heating aids during cool months, and cooling aids during warm months.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Battery operated aeration devices, or be prepared to manually aerate.

• Reduce feeding.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Prepare extra RODI/salt water.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Have a generator on standby.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I usually don't prepare.

• Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back