ID please

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this blue stuff that is kinda clear but a very bright blue on parts of my live rock. I’ve seen it in 3 places. Doesn’t look like a sponge to me and doesn’t seem like a tunicate either as it’s not growing and as far as I can tell it’s not pushing water out. rock is from a tank that is about 15 years old as well as a few pieces of rubble from the ocean. The spot photographed is 3/4” long

IMG_8716.jpeg IMG_8715.jpeg

beamers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along until we get a positive Id. I’ve had something similar in the past but it either died off or was eaten.

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the texture like? Is it slime or encrusted to the rock? Though rare, I think some cyanobacteria can be that color.
I tend not to touch things I’m unsure of haha. I have some love rock and rubble in the substrate from the Bahamas so I’m thinking it could be something wild

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this blue stuff that is kinda clear but a very bright blue on parts of my live rock. I’ve seen it in 3 places. Doesn’t look like a sponge to me and doesn’t seem like a tunicate either as it’s not growing and as far as I can tell it’s not pushing water out. rock is from a tank that is about 15 years old as well as a few pieces of rubble from the ocean. The spot photographed is 3/4” long

IMG_8716.jpeg IMG_8715.jpeg
I'd actually be kind of surprised if this isn't a sponge - you would be hard-pressed to see even large sponges moving water without some sort of reef-safe dye to show you the water flow; on a small specimen like this, I'm not sure if you would realistically see much movement at all even with a dye.

Regardless, keep an eye on it, and if it grows, get some more pics for us to see.

Back