IDs and reef compatibility with corals and inverts

JosephNg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, can you please name these two circled anthias? Are they reef safe as well? Because one of the local members sent us a video of the lighter colored one picked up on softies but I heard anthias were supposed to be reef safe and beginner-friendly.
Cheers!

211EB289-C9C0-484A-8423-546213CE7201.jpeg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither fish is an Anthias. The lighter is a Bluefin damsel the other appears to be a Caerulean damsel. Both are territorial and agressive. Some damsels are known to pick at polyps as well. While they're generally considered reef safe they aren't necessarily community safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JosephNg

JosephNg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither fish is an Anthias. The lighter is a Bluefin damsel the other appears to be a Caerulean damsel. Both are territorial and agressive. Some damsels are known to pick at polyps as well. While they're generally considered reef safe they aren't necessarily community safe.
Thank you for the clarification.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome. If you're a beginner then you're better off starting out with a few smaller, peaceful community fish for now.

OP
OP
JosephNg

JosephNg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll keep that in mind. The tank has already occupied with 2 tangs and a pair of clowns so I thought it would be ideal to add a few more small ones. Seems like these damsels have to go haha.
Anyway, thank you, guys.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%

Back