OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2500 What?! Sorry I couldn't help but use this post for myself...
Tank is settled in. A few new friends are on their way. Sadly no CBB Wrasse yet...
I have been working on my QT and I think I have everything that I need.
I have not used QT for this set up yet because all of the livestock has come from my other systems. I trust myself.
These will be the first to enter the system and I am terrified that I will introduce something.
Wish me luck.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now after all of the long planning, the real planning actually begins. The errors of your previous thoughts shine through. All of your previously purchased plumbing fittings are null. Remove and replace all of that with new because... well you did not think this through enough, I guess... Am I the only one that has failed this hard?
Over and over again to be honest... Getting it right the first time would be awesome and better for my wallet!

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over and over again to be honest... Getting it right the first time would be awesome and better for my wallet!
Right? In total honesty, I love the plumbing part of a build more than anything. Going through it 20 times is like therapy.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Marco shelf rock for the scape. I used all new rock that I had soaking in a brute trash can for over a year.

I knew that I didn't want a wall of rock and also did not want to have arches that everyone does. I also wanted to keep the rock low in the tank to allow lots of room for vertical growth and swimming space.

I am sure that this will change and evolve as the corals start to grow in. I wound up just making a bunch of pillars and called it good for now.

I also wanted to plan ahead with the scape and coral growth in the sense that everything would be lower in the front right and build up towards the the back left.

I wanted to make sure that you could see all of the fish and corals regardless of where they were in the tank. I gave them lots of places to hide in plain sight. Lots of overhangs and some caves and all of the rocks are about 6 inches away from all of the glass. The 30 inch width of this tank really pays off here.

There are 13 separate rock structures that can all be moved around or rotated as the corals grow. If corals start to touch, fight, or grow in a way that I do not anticipate, I can jut move the entire rock instead of having to cut it off of the rock to move the coral.

I'll get some more pictures of the rock later. Maybe a top down shot that will show the scale better.
I have been considering a hood/canopy for mine. Soooo much light spill on the RSM S-500. Your initial setup is very clean, and the eye gets drawn right to the tank!

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering a hood/canopy for mine. Soooo much light spill on the RSM S-500. Your initial setup is very clean, and the eye gets drawn right to the tank!
Thank you. The idea from the beginning was to have it look like it belonged there; like a built-in bookcase. I do have to mitigate humidity accumulation from the canopy which I vent out of the top of the top left cabinet.

Light spill is pretty much non existent. This is a first for me and I love the ascetic of the room
with the tank in it while also not having that blue glow added to the entire space.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right? In total honesty, I love the plumbing part of a build more than anything. Going through it 20 times is like therapy.
Lucky or possibly unlucky for me I never had to plumb the tank as the RSM came all setup.

My first ever plumbing job was for my water station and I was very proud of how it turned out lol. I used two pictures from R2R for the design. It did have a couple leaks initially that i had to seal with WaterWeld...for better or for worse.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet the fishes.
I took all of these photos yesterday. The fish were not cooperating... Blurry photos, sorry.

Neon - Atlantic Blue Tang - Acanthurus coeruleus
Dory and Neon2.jpg

Nemo -True Percula Clownfish - Amphiprion percula
Nemo 2.jpg

Nemo.jpg

Dory - Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang - Paracanthurus hepatus var.
Dory and Neon1.jpg

three amigos.jpg

Jeff - Blue Reef Chromis - Chromis cyaneus
20210829_144004.jpg

Jeff.jpg
Jeff1.jpg

Jorge - Melanurus Wrasse - Halichoeres melanurus
20210829_113532_01.jpg

Jorge.jpg

Elana - Purple Dottyback - Pseudochromis porphyreus
Elana1.jpg

elena2.jpg
Great selection of fish ;Watching, nice variety of color and activity! Was there any issues adding so many at once, seems fine, just curious? I bet it certainly helped with mitigating any aggressiveness.

I think the most i added at once is three and it went ok. I just get stressed during the acclimation process the more there are.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great selection of fish ;Watching, nice variety of color and activity! Was there any issues adding so many at once, seems fine, just curious? I bet it certainly helped with mitigating any aggressiveness.

I think the most i added at once is three and it went ok. I just get stressed during the acclimation process the more there are.
They all came from my other system. They were already BFFs. All I had to do was ask them nicely to hop into the new tank.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one growing through a monti. Glued over it, but it burrowed around it. Ended up just fragging off that section and tossing it. There were a few more nearby, but they dissapeared. I do have bumble bee snails, so maybe they got them?

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one growing through a monti. Glued over it, but it burrowed around it. Ended up just fragging off that section and tossing it. There were a few more nearby, but they dissapeared. I do have bumble bee snails, so maybe they got them?
So far I have only observed the one. I feel there is still hope and no nuclear options are called for at the moment. I think I will try the superglue route first. Maybe a kalk paste followed by the superglue later just to be sure.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back