Inventions you’ve made for your Reef

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Members is there anything you’ve made to make your life easier for your reef. There’s been some good and bad inventions over the years.But yours could be what we are all looking for
Let’s see what you have made

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a modular magnetic frag grow out shelf designed for either standard 2x2 tiles or 3d printed ones.

The 3d printed ones have a hole so you can attach a frag plug directly without risking harm removing the coral from tbh plug.

Many corals encrust before growing vertically and this allows you to get a nice 2x2 base before relocating.

I also have 2x2 tiles with 5 plug holes so zoa and similar corals can self propagate to adjacent plugs

I couldn’t find a magnet shelf to accommodate 2x2 tiles so I invented this. I don’t like tiles or plugs on the sand…par is low, sand is irritating, nassarius and snails can flip them etc

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call these inventions so much as I needed a part so I made it.

I wanted to keep my eel from getting into the overflow so I made this topper for it:
PXL_20240114_163421824.jpg

PXL_20240114_163329827.jpg

I made these little clips to control the cables for my lights. The slide into the T slots on my light bar:

PXL_20230916_134919506.jpg

This is my Flow-Bee siphon algae scraper:

PXL_20230929_114321458.jpg

V_Sh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Members is there anything you’ve made to make your life easier for your reef. There’s been some good and bad inventions over the years.But yours could be what we are all looking for
Let’s see what you have made

Hi,

I really like this question, that may help all of us, Thank you so much.

Maybe not an invention but I'll share the last thing I've created for my store and upgraded some of my tanks to:

tanks are 70 liters and I separated 10cm of the left part of each tank for a side-sump, the difference is that the entrance of each sump is ONLY a small gap at the bottom of the sump (the glass doesn't touch the bottom) and the water circulation is about 50 times of the tank capacity; as you may guess there is no sand in the tank just couple of liverock for fishes to hide.

Can you guess why should someone design such a thing? LOL

the controlling of parasites like Cryptocaryon is too much easier in this system as the cysts or dormant stage of the parasites simply wash away from the glassy bottom to the sump.

many other small things should be done for this system to perform well but the overall mechanism is like this.

I would like to hear your precious opinions, appreciate

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I really like this question, that may help all of us, Thank you so much.

Maybe not an invention but I'll share the last thing I've created for my store and upgraded some of my tanks to:

tanks are 70 liters and I separated 10cm of the left part of each tank for a side-sump, the difference is that the entrance of each sump is ONLY a small gap at the bottom of the sump (the glass doesn't touch the bottom) and the water circulation is about 50 times of the tank capacity; as you may guess there is no sand in the tank just couple of liverock for fishes to hide.

Can you guess why should someone design such a thing? LOL

the controlling of parasites like Cryptocaryon is too much easier in this system as the cysts or dormant stage of the parasites simply wash away from the glassy bottom to the sump.

many other small things should be done for this system to perform well but the overall mechanism is like this.

I would like to hear your precious opinions, appreciate
Great any pictures of your set ups
Thanks for your input on the thread. It’s nice to see what others are doing to make things better and easier

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have done is set up micro tubs but the idea came from people keeping betta fish which the males fight so they keep them separate in tubs . So my tubs are drip fed which fills the tubs.I have a small over flow pipe that goes into a 22mm pipe that runs at the back of the tubs then it goes in to a tub sump and the process starts again . I also have another pump passing water through a chiller and back to the tub sump which keeps the temperature at 14c f or my native tubs .
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg

V_Sh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great any pictures of your set ups
Thanks for your input on the thread. It’s nice to see what others are doing to make things better and easier
Thanks a lot, yeah just an interesting topic I can enjoy this forever.

for sure I'll share some pictures as soon as I get to the store today, my pleasure to share experiences.

I hope this threat gets many views and replies.
The only thing I have done is set up micro tubs but the idea came from people keeping betta fish which the males fight so they keep them separate in tubs . So my tubs are drip fed which fills the tubs.I have a small over flow pipe that goes into a 22mm pipe that runs at the back of the tubs then it goes in to a tub sump and the process starts again . I also have another pump passing water through a chiller and back to the tub sump which keeps the temperature at 14c f or my native tubs .
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg

wow, cool
Thanks for sharing

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost everything in my tank I invented.

Diatom filters

Reverse UG filter manifold

Injectors for aiptasia

Algae scrubber

Sulphur denitrator

Another injector

Rotating algae scrubber

Evaporitive chiller

Skimmer

Mandarin feeder

Water cooled LEDs

Mojano wand, brine shrimp hatchery and many, many more.

V_Sh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diatom filters

Injectors for aiptasia

Algae scrubber

Sulphur denitrator

Another injector

Rotating algae scrubber

Evaporitive chiller

Skimmer

Mandarin feeder

Water cooled LEDs

The injector is really cool well-done

How does the Mandarine feeder work? what food do you put in that?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The injector is really cool well-done

How does the Mandarine feeder work? what food do you put in that?
It works like this. You put new born brine shrimp in the funnel at the top over the water and they slowly try to get through the mesh as the fish eat them all day. They are all over this, and other forums just search for "Paul B" feeder.

Liftoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diatom filters

Injectors for aiptasia

Algae scrubber

Sulphur denitrator

Another injector

Rotating algae scrubber

Evaporitive chiller

Skimmer

Mandarin feeder

Water cooled LEDs

Ah great :)
Do you put the diatom filter in series if needed or is it constantly connected. How do you apply it?

Best greetings
Liftoff

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built Three of These Flood Lights, call them the Coral Burners, the are on Plug in Timers to turn them on and off during the day. Shown open.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpeg
    IMG_0410.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0411.jpeg
    IMG_0411.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 27

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built these 1/2” Acrylic Bridges for a Three Panel Glass top for my 120 Gallon Aquarium. There’s a Spare as they still warp, and have to be bent back slowly.
IMG_3404.png

Attachments

• IMG_3405.png
    IMG_3405.png
    673.1 KB · Views: 24

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • My coral

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back