Is Biota "Pink or Red Pocillopora" anything special?

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know Biota's coral prices run high but that still seems like it's really inflated if it's essentially identical to every other company's Pink Pocilloporas. I was curious if there was something unique about it that commanded such a high price.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know Biota's coral prices run high but that still seems like it's really inflated if it's essentially identical to every other company's Pink Pocilloporas. I was curious if there was something unique about it that commanded such a high price.
From their site: (my underline)

Marine life you can feel good about​

Choose sustainable fish, clams and corals for your saltwater aquarium. Biota marine life is cultured in captivity.
100% Cultured in Aquariums for Aquariums
Ask for Biota fish and marine life at your local pet store.

OP
OP
F

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From their site: (my underline)

Marine life you can feel good about​

Choose sustainable fish, clams and corals for your saltwater aquarium. Biota marine life is cultured in captivity.
100% Cultured in Aquariums for Aquariums
Ask for Biota fish and marine life at your local pet store.
Is replying without actually reading the post just a reflex for you?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for this particular coral but some of them have back stories outside aquaculture. I have a couple of their Palau Acropora frags which while premium priced are grown out from frags taken after storms. Basically a storm rolls in, roughs up the reefs, broken coral frags are collected, mounted, grown out, fragged for resell, and the original restored back to the reef. Something along those lines.

I'm pretty happy with my corals from Biota but as I noted I do not have this one. Most of the ones I purchased from them are their Palau frags which are my favorites. One of which they are using my original frag and follow up colony picture as part of the corals photos which is sort of nerdy/cool.

Oh - last post of yours above came in a bit hot to KrisReef.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure why it’s so high. ORA is $40 on saltwateraquarium.com. But might be a different species of pocillopora than this.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is replying without actually reading the post just a reflex for you?

The reflex reply you read and didn't comprehend was copied directly from the Biota's website and it contains the reasoning that most people point to for wanting to purchase their products.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this so expensive?

OMG, i gave out RAOK from excess i had after i moved tanks, and the mother colony that snapped while being moved. No one wanted it for even 10 dollars per head.

Im sure a lot of us have this... its one of the euphyllia that grows like weed.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back