Is KISS the Key to Coral?

Is KISS the Key to SPS and every other coral?

• YES

Votes: 269 57.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 14.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 124 26.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 2.5%

• Total voters

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difficulty of recommending a KISS method, is every tank is a little or a lot different from others. Each tank presents its own challenges, and it takes on average 2 years for it to “stabilize.” As a result, myself and others have to try a variety of different methods, techniques, and equipment, until a solution is found for our specific tanks.

I think part of the problem is that reefs have two distinct phases - new, and mature - and you have to manage them differently. Mature tanks are stable - and generally if you maintain Alk - they do great. We see mature reefs with unmeasurable nitrates and phosphates, and we see them with 1.5ppm phosphates - and they look great. (This is partly because what we test isn't the whole picture - bioavaliable nutrients and available food is more important)

New tanks are inherently unstable - and everything from nitrate to phosphate to alk to all sorts of things we can't really see has to be manipulated and stabilized - and waiting things out and keeping it simple often leads to outbreaks and more problems.(overreacting can also lead to more problems though - its a tightwire act)

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I believe the KISS method is the way to go. However I see the reason we are getting away from this method could be all of the crazy colours we see from on line vendors. Those vendors have staff that mange their tanks and ensure they get the best colour, growth, etc out of their corals. I think hobbyist get away from that and try to over-do it to compensate for not achieving the same results. When in reality it's more about keeping it simple, having a lot of patience and being consistent with your care - something large retailers pay staff to do. Just my 2 cents.

Space Coyote

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing simple about reefing. Lol.
after all my mistakes, etc I think KISS applies but change the first S from “simple” to “stable”. Give your tank what it’s basic needs are be patient and let nature do her thing. You will have a beautiful tank in time.

ps I think filters and photoshop should be outlawed at this point for sales. Only allow White balance adjustment. We are chasing white whale colors. The temptation is just so...strong. Lol.

karees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of all of my reading on here and other places, it seems like the people with the most success picked their methodology, figured out where success lay as far as parameter ranges goes, and just stick with it. Which is what I’m planning on doing. I’m sure I’ll have many “crash and burn” situations. But having a simple plan seems to be a key to success
Change “many” to “some” and you are well on the way to a most rewarding experience.

cballdds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way will KISS work for SPS....they are susceptible to variations in a number of parameters....from water chemistry to lighting. If you are not monitoring and adjusting them, you will fail....

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think "not doing more than needs to be done" is the key.
There's many claims here and other places about "dramatic growth by XYZ" and people immediately feel like if they're not seeing similar growth than they need to emulate, and away they go down the rabbit hole that often ends up on them harming their tanks by doing to much rather than simply tweaking to solve what issue they may have going on.

IMHO.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what KISS is so I don't have an opinion on it quite yet. But I absolutely believe that many people (including myself) overdo everything when it comes to reefing.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on who you ask what does KISS mean. Some people it means no electronics and everything manual. Others it may mean electronics supplementing husbandry.

To me it means keeping hand out of tank and having equipment running well to help maintain the overall system. Minimize the frequent changes to the environment and let nature take its course. Only intervene when necessary and utilize strategically selected equipment within my price range to help run the system. Supplement the tank and no water changes (very infrequent changes).

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to SPS, alkalinity stability is king. Adding some form of alk manually is the simple method of maintaining this stability, but at least for me, it isn't do-able. Some automation here keeps maintenance simple. Same goes for ATOs.

Lights, flow, and water changes also deserve some attention for SPS tanks, but KISS methods are easier to apply.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KISS (keep it simple stupid) I don't want to chase numbers and want to make the experience as simple as possible. I change water every two weeks and in between add some elements that may be diminished. Since it has only been three months and I'm pleased with the progress I have acquired 1 important piece of information, and that is to have patience!

Paulandreti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure, that having less stuff to look after and more time to enjoy your tank would always be much more attractive, Im still new to this hobby but, after 2 years I do consider that the basics should always be cover and I for sure will continue in the lookout for better and new things to do in order to keep my corals and system as best as I can.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of dosing nitrates and reducing phosphates. When you say it will eventually equal out, what do you mean? Will I eventually get to the point where it is not necessary to maintain values of say, 12ppm of NO3 to 0.05 ppm of PO4?

Just curious. If so, I can't wait! It'll be nice to not have to dose eventually.
In my experience I’ve always struggled getting nitrates and phos up. I always have to dose both. After a while (depending on fish stock) they stay up on their own. For my 10 gallon dry start, it was about a year. 40 live start was about 6 months. 25 gallon live start with heavy stocking it was less than 6 months (never had to dose) and I have to run a skimmer with monthly water changes.
I’m not sure about phos equalizing downward but there is a time that will come when it will equalize upward as long as your maintenance schedule is on par.

M

Max_nano

View Badges
I’m coming up on 1 year of reefing. I work developing automation for business processes so I appreciate automation and setting it up for my tank has been relatively easy/fun. I have done a lot of setup work in order to keep my tank fairly self sufficient. I feed in the morning and at night which I enjoy, I test nitrate and phosphate once a week, and then I do a water change every 1-2 weeks honestly just depending on when I have time and eventually I’ll automate the wc. I have to top off the ATO maybe once or twice a month.

I think the work I have to do on a regular basis is fairly minimal and simple. I can glance at my GHL dashboard to check that everything is running properly.

I’ve done this by having a doser for esv 2 part, nitrates (DIY sodium nitrate and rodi mix 10g/250mL), and FW-Stop. A KH guardian to measure alkalinity every 2 hours. And the GHL power bar/breakout board to control my supplemental lighting, heater, and return pump. Mobius to control my radion, and myAI to control my Nero schedule. It’s a lot of apps but most are set and forget.

I understand the work I did isn’t simple to everyone, but it is what I have done to make my 25 gal AIO sps focused frag tank take care of itself mostly. Hard to beat a tank with stable alk where the only manual daily work is feeding.

pjb9166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your WWC or the like or enjoy a painful uphill battle dealing with sterile rock magic snake oil potions in a bottle a possible crash or two or more a system so complex it is inherently unstable where you need multiple failsafes all controlled by a central ‘brain’ and pray the ‘brain’ don’t crash—just keep it old school

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been in the hobby since the 80's. High tech to me was getting a doser and auto top off and yes lights that can come on and shut off automatically. Keeping a system super simple is key. I don't buy into all the high-end gadgets. Keep on top of water parameters and practice impeccable husbandry is all you have to do.. Keep everything stable and you're good to go.

pjb9166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way will KISS work for SPS....they are susceptible to variations in a number of parameters....from water chemistry to lighting. If you are not monitoring and adjusting them, you will fail....

couldn't disagree more. KIss is the way to go. I guess for a experienced keeper it's easier to say that I suppose.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can grow SPS and do.

KISS? Yes.

Simple weekly water changes with Instant Ocean of 10%.

No dosing anything except Kalkwasser.

Is my tank full of sticks? No. Do I have acro's, yes. Montipora, yes. But I also have LPS and softies.

It's the way I want it.

So yes, simplistically can grow sticks.

DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0294.JPG

Back