Is my anemone dying?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second this. Looks like it bubbled up in his tank. Not to mention I’ve had happy anemones in anywhere from 50 to 300 PAR in my tank and less than six months after the initial cycle.
I have a nem in my tank, way less time then people call for..
I have started tanks and put nems in 7 days after startup without issues.. it just takes constant water parameter checking, being able to water change if needed, and keeping the cleanest water you can.

Anywho.. the nem looks happy where it is, tips are bubbled, the coloring should come back stronger over time. The biggest thing is, dont mess with it too much and dont over feed it. If it looks like it is streaching towards the light, turn it up just a tad.
They will stay put once they are happy.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with not messing with it, but I am also a believer in not feeding a nem. Mine lives on whatever it filters itself, and light alone.

If you guys can tell his lights “aren’t good enough” simply by looking at a picture, kudos to you.

Why do so many people feel the need to tell everyone else that they can’t keep a nem? Is it some exclusive club?

This is mine, put in my tank at 3 weeks... 3 months later, doing great. I suppose someone can tell me the serial number of the cell phone used to take the picture just by looking eh?
6688B34F-7E06-437C-8F04-C1F81B1912DC.jpeg
E63F0218-2170-43A3-A9AB-4C520CD3F947.jpeg

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it’s better to get information from multiple reefers hence posting on multiple places in on the forum. Many people have had many different experiences. It’s really all about chemistry. I’ve had my tank running for 8 months starting from a 35 gallon had the 65 up and cycled within 2 weeks (1.5 but wanted to play it safe [emoji6]). Added fish week one because I did no research. Not one fish has died yet. Added coral within a month, yea everything going pretty a okay, never had to touch any disease so far nor have parameters gone berserk anywhere. Running no filter for the last 2 week just a makeshift diy skimmer. People have been in the hobby for decades and I promise you knowledge and technology 10 years ago is night and day what it is compared to what we have today. What better way to get data on this hobby and technology then forums of actual experience users who have dabbled in different ways to tending the hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rather just be told what it is and how to fix then hey to just give up the thing is going to die. (Please refer to melvesreef first 5 mins video on bta anemones)
More of has this ever happen to you James? What did you do to cure this ailment?
Not quit, cause I’m sure everyone on here has made one mistake one time or another and figured it out. So thank you Msb123 I understand

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll offer you some friendly tips.

This forum is very informal and 98% of the time, everyone is trying to give advice that will help you become a successful reefer. That being said, everyone does have their own opinion about what they would do and how they would do it. This is where it does get a bit confusing, your asking for an answer and you get 43 (Random Number lol). From those pick out what "You" think is the best option for your aquarium and go for it. I have not seen your other threads so I am not aware of your situation.

Your nem does look stressed. I would start with a 20% water change. Give it some food. If it is not looking better. You might want to start looking at your lights. I know lights are expensive. Don't be afraid to invest in some good lights. If the nem does die. Get it out of your tank as soon as possible.

I know this is some basic tips, but I hope it helps out a little!

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and yes I understanding you’re right. I was looking at it more of if a number of answer come out to be the same, that might be the right path. That’s why I asked so many. And yea I am looking into lighting. My led were only running at 120 down into a 20 in depth. What par is good to try and get to. If I must buy lights then I will but I’m trying to do diy. It’s not that I’m not willing to spend as I have a canister and cpr hang on skimmer ready and if needed I’ll set up a sump. But this contraption has been doing work for the last couple weeks seeing from testing (api kit, Red Sea is finally arriving next week)
b8035237967048aaa8ac2f6fa2c7102a.jpg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read all threads op started didnt see lighting listed and tank is over 6 months old...lets play nice please.

I'm simply honestly confused with 3 threads and believe it would be smoother if the 3 were merged so we could focus with some definite help versus going back and forth to the different threads.

dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and yes I understanding you’re right. I was looking at it more of if a number of answer come out to be the same, that might be the right path. That’s why I asked so many. And yea I am looking into lighting. My led were only running at 120 down into a 20 in depth. What par is good to try and get to. If I must buy lights then I will but I’m trying to do diy. It’s not that I’m not willing to spend as I have a canister and cpr hang on skimmer ready and if needed I’ll set up a sump. But this contraption has been doing work for the last couple weeks seeing from testing (api kit, Red Sea is finally arriving next week)
b8035237967048aaa8ac2f6fa2c7102a.jpg

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird did it just double post? And haha I had it in different sections. I guess the one person was looking at multiple sections that day so he saw the other posts

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you haha I like being able to collect data to get a consensus on what people think. My tank survived to today without proper research before hand by doing this with lfs , drag swap and local hobbyist. Just got on a bigger format using forum and let me tell you a lot of great input from everyone. I love the people who say don’t keep an anemone it isn’t right for you since I don’t have proper this and that. Well I understand where you’re coming from but with the last 5 year jump in the technology and manufactures playing catch up with diy projects that work just as well if not better. Understanding the cycle and parameters and proper husbandry has been working for me. And many other people as can be seen.
I plan on nursing this anemone to heath. I’m not about to return it like it was a dog that I adopted and it was to sick .

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I I’m thinking of doing adding more rock to create a structure that is closer to the surface

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the anemone found its spot and is looking a lot better today. My lighting is going to need an upgrade possibly. The whites I think are strong enough and I don’t have actinic blue lights yet just blue led wrapped around the led bar.
46e6bf8a1c9bb225cfd3b2587cccc52c.jpg

A tiny Duncan frag

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm simply honestly confused with 3 threads and believe it would be smoother if the 3 were merged so we could focus with some definite help versus going back and forth to the different threads.

dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif
Did nt see that...it was in a non nem thread...but still.we dont know the wattage of the leds and how much par they produce and with the repetative threads its hard to get all the information ....but just dont think we should form a lynch mob against him.

Edit was trying to quote gonebad as well doesnt seem to have worked.

Last edited:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all measured in par for reefs but so.e leds are 3w some are 5w and depending on the maker some produce more par than others.

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that’s what was confusing me what pat should I aim for at 24 inches and if I can make some change 16-20 inches

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • My coral

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back